Which server-side programming language?

Michael Peters

I've been using PHP for a few years, but it's feeling more and more like
a dirty language to me. I've looked into JSP and Servlets, but
Java-style OO is annoying. Ruby looks interesting, but I'm not sure if
its library has enough web-related things to be very useful. What would
all of you reccomend?

Macromedia ColdFusion.

Michael

Toby A Inkster

Leif said:
$result = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users, $conn);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
// Do something with the username
}

Bad example as you're missing the closing quote mark on the first line.

My general message to Long is: you call SQL low level??? SQL is one of the
highest level languages about! If you get any higher level than SQL,
you're getting close to natural language parsing!

Long

: Leif K-Brooks wrote:
:
: > $result = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users, $conn);
: > while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
: > // Do something with the username
: > }
:
: Bad example as you're missing the closing quote mark on the first line.
:
Don't worry about correct syntax...I am not the PHP interpreter ;)

: My general message to Long is: you call SQL low level??? SQL is one of the
: highest level languages about! If you get any higher level than SQL,
: you're getting close to natural language parsing!
:
By low-level I am referring to the fact that I have to code to the SQL level
in PHP (like in the above example). Not that SQL is a low-level language like
a machine language, however there are higher level languages than SQL,
e.g. Smalltalk.

Using the above example, I want to code it like:

users = User loadInstances
for i = 1 to users.size
// do something with users(i)
users(i).saveToDb
next

where I can avoid coding SQL as much as possible.

Long

Andy Dingley

I've looked into JSP and Servlets, but
Java-style OO is annoying.

What don't you like ?
Ruby looks interesting, but I'm not sure if
its library has enough web-related things to be very useful.

I looked at Ruby a couple of years ago. It had HTML 4 nailed into the
language at far too low a level. I ran away.

If you care about OOP, how about Python ?

Perl is broken, IMHO. Recent versions look like too much bloatware
(I'm tempted to say PL/1 !)

Leif K-Brooks

Andy said:
What don't you like ?

It seems to use elegant code for the sake of being elegant, not for the
sake of reuse or maintainability. OOP is supposed to save work, not add
more!
I looked at Ruby a couple of years ago. It had HTML 4 nailed into the
language at far too low a level. I ran away.

Haven't gotten scared of that yet, more annoyed by what seems to be a
really odd problem with mod_ruby (probably just me, though).
If you care about OOP, how about Python ?

Thought about it, but I'm not sure how much I like its forced
indentation. Things just don't look balanced with only one end to me,
isn't there some meaningless keyword I could put at the end of things?
Perl is broken, IMHO. Recent versions look like too much bloatware
(I'm tempted to say PL/1 !)

I agree with you to some extent. It seems more suited to quick-and-dirty
scripts to me, not anything meant to be used long-term.

Eric Bohlman

I agree with you to some extent. It seems more suited to quick-and-dirty
scripts to me, not anything meant to be used long-term.

That's more a characteristic of the way a lot of people write Perl than
anything to do with the language itself. Larry Wall consciously designed
Perl not to enforce any particular form of programming discipline because
the appropriate manner of programming discipline is really a matter of
taste/religion rather than anything objective. A lot of programmers
misunderstood that intention and thought of Perl as an "undisciplined"
language whereas Wall's vision was really of a "bring your own discipline"
(BYOD) language.

A good programmer can write readable, maintainable, and scalable code in
Perl (or any language). It's just that with Perl, the language won't smack
you on the butt if you get sloppy. Perl's motto is "there's more than one
way to do it" (TMTOWTDI), but that doesn't mean that all the ways of doing
something are equally good.

Toby A Inkster

Leif said:
Including Brainfuck? :)

Possibly not.

Somewhere out there, there is an implementation of a fibonacci routine
that is valid code in C++, Perl and Brainfuck. It's really a work of art.
I have tried Google, but I can't find it. :-(