Which version of J2SE should I download.

Sanny

For Applets I want them to run on as many computers as possible.

If I Compile with J2SE 5.0 Will people with JVM 1.3, JVM 1.4 will be
able to run the Applets. The features I will be using are only of Java
1.2 But compile with Java 1.5. So will those browsers with Java 1.2,
1.3 or 1.4 be able to view my applets?

Secondly I found www.sun.com/ Offline. So where else can I download
latest J2SE. from.

If I use J2SE 1.6 will those using 1.4 be able to view the applets. As
I am only using features that were available in JDK 1.2.

How many people have the Higher Versions of JDK downloaded on their
compouter? 1.5/ 1.6?

Does applets run faster when compiled with Higher versions Or they run
at same speed?

Bye
Sanny.

Andrew Thompson

Sanny said:
For Applets I want them to run on as many computers as possible.

If I Compile with J2SE 5.0 Will people with JVM 1.3, JVM 1.4 will be
able to run the Applets.

To ensure they can, you need to speficy the -srouce, -target and
most importantly -bootclasspath when compiling.
The features I will be using are only of Java
1.2 But compile with Java 1.5. So will those browsers with Java 1.2,
1.3 or 1.4 be able to view my applets?

If the options above are used (all of them), yes.
Does applets run faster when compiled with Higher versions Or they run
at same speed?

No, though most applets will run faster on a later
JRE, as Sun improves JIT algorithms and such.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Lew

Applets run on many computers, but few browsers. On my computer I cannot run
applets at all (some fubar between Firefox and 64-bit Linux, or else in how
Fedora packages the browser), but I can run Java Web Start programs.

Java 5 is old. Use Java 6.
To ensure they can, you need to speficy the -srouce, -target and
most importantly -bootclasspath when compiling.

I recommend that you develop in Java 6 with the options that Andrew mentions.
I suggest that you /target/ Java 1.4 (1.3 being far too old and obsolete, to
boot). You will need a 1.4 JRE to satisfy the -bootclasspath option. You can
have multiple JREs / JDKs on your system.

Use 1.4 as your target.
If the options above are used (all of them), yes.
No, though most applets will run faster on a later
JRE, as Sun improves JIT algorithms and such.

They run fastest on a Java 6 JVM.

Andrew Thompson

Lew said:
Applets run on many computers, but few browsers. On my computer I cannot run
applets at all (some fubar between Firefox and 64-bit Linux, or else in how
Fedora packages the browser), but I can run Java Web Start programs.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to try and find a way
to estimate* when JWS runs on more machines than
'applets in browsers'.

If the number of machines in which applets 'load' but are so
quirky** as to be unusable is included in applet 'failures', I
suspect the balance would already have tipped in favor of
using JWS - to reach the widest audience.

* Beyond scrying or WAGs, that is.

** I'll avoid the 'X' word. ;-)