Which Version of wxPython for Win XP

W. eWatson

I'm going to try out wxPython 2.8.92 for py25. It seems like the ansi
version is the choice for me. The other choice has unicode. Do I care?
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Eric_Dexter

I'm going to try out wxPython 2.8.92 for py25. It seems like the ansi
version is the choice for me. The other choice has unicode. Do I care?
--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

There is a good chance you don't care... I think the other is for
internationalization... best to look.. It would be easier to answer
the question if you said what you are going to do with it, and who
needed to use your software. It's even possible that you might want
to try pygame depending on what you want to use it for and who the
audience is (and how good thier computers are)

http://pypi.python.org/simple/Dex Tracker/

W. eWatson

There is a good chance you don't care... I think the other is for
internationalization... best to look.. It would be easier to answer
the question if you said what you are going to do with it, and who
needed to use your software. It's even possible that you might want
to try pygame depending on what you want to use it for and who the
audience is (and how good thier computers are)

http://pypi.python.org/simple/Dex Tracker/
Thanks. I think I'll take the chance. Somewhat simple programming.
Off I go to install it. It can always be un-installed.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Mike Driscoll

Well, that was an interesting experience. It appears to have recompiled a
lot of stuff, and probably some libraries. IDLE is still with me as the way
to open py files. Apparently, if I want to get around IDLE, I may have to
install some other editor.

The compiling you are referring to is just making the py files into
pyc files. This is normal and is a speed improvement. In fact, a lot
of the scripts you write will create a pyc file when first run.

In other words, wxPython does not affect your Python install in any
way other than making itself available as a 3rd party package (i.e.
adding itself to the path), just like any other good 3rd party
package. I'm not sure why you're even talking about IDLE...wxPython is
a GUI toolkit, not an IDE.

Mike

W. eWatson

Mike said:
The compiling you are referring to is just making the py files into
pyc files. This is normal and is a speed improvement. In fact, a lot
of the scripts you write will create a pyc file when first run.

In other words, wxPython does not affect your Python install in any
way other than making itself available as a 3rd party package (i.e.
adding itself to the path), just like any other good 3rd party
package. I'm not sure why you're even talking about IDLE...wxPython is
a GUI toolkit, not an IDE.

Mike
Thanks. Yes, I finally discovered that the need here was not what I wanted
afterall. Un-installed now.