Which way to access Scintilla

Alex

There are several ways to use Scintilla in Python, the ones described at
http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/ScintillaRelated.html are:
-through wxPython
-pyscintilla is the original Python binding for Scintilla's default
GTK 1.x class. Includes some additional support, such as native
printing on Windows. The binding is hand-written rather than
auto-generated from the Scintilla.iface file.

-pygtkscintilla is a Python binding for gtk1.x scintilla that uses
gtkscintilla instead of the default GTK class.

-pyscintilla2 is a Python binding for GTK 2.x scintilla that uses
gtkscintilla2.

I'm not using any of the libraries GTK 1.x, GTK 2.x or WxPython for GUI
(always used Tkinter), but I want to use Scintilla so I wonder which way
would have less overhead. First, loading of an additional library would
(I think) slow down startup and operating time of program, plus there
can be additional complexity of use.

I also want to embed Scintilla in Tkinter-created window (create the
rest of the GUI in Tkinter), or rather, I want to know if that's
possible at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Neil Hodgson

Alex:
I also want to embed Scintilla in Tkinter-created window (create the
rest of the GUI in Tkinter), or rather, I want to know if that's
possible at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

While it may be possible with sufficient dedication, it is unlikely
to be simple. If you really want to use Tkinter then you are probably
better off using some existing code that uses its text widget from
Python such as Idle.

Neil