Why derivated exception can not be pickled ?

Mathieu Courtois

Here is my example :

import cPickle

ParentClass = object # works
ParentClass = Exception # does not

class MyError(ParentClass):
def __init__(self, arg):
self.arg = arg

def __getstate__(self):
print '#DBG pass in getstate'
odict = self.__dict__.copy()
return odict

def __setstate__(self, state):
print '#DBG pass in setstate'
self.__dict__.update(state)

exc = MyError('IDMESS')

fo = open('pick.1', 'w')
cPickle.dump(exc, fo)
fo.close()

fo = open('pick.1', 'r')
obj = cPickle.load(fo)
fo.close()

1. With ParentClass=object, it works as expected.

2. With ParentClass=Exception, __getstate__/__setstate__ are not called.

Does anyone explain me why ?
Thanks.

Steven D'Aprano

Here is my example :

import cPickle

ParentClass = object # works
ParentClass = Exception # does not [...]
1. With ParentClass=object, it works as expected.

2. With ParentClass=Exception, __getstate__/__setstate__ are not called.

Does anyone explain me why ?

I think it is a bug. According to the documentation, if your class is
unpickleable, an exception should be raised. If it is pickleable,
__getstate__ should be called. I can't see anything to explain that what
you are seeing is expected behaviour.

Exceptions should definitely be pickleable:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1692335

so __getstate__ should be called. I think you should report this as a bug.

Dieter Maurer

Mathieu Courtois said:
[...]

The pickle interface is actually more complex and there are several
ways an object can ensure picklability. For example, there is
also a "__reduce__" method. I suppose, that "Exception" defines methods
which trigger the use of an alternative picklability approach (different
from "__getstate__/__setstate__").

I would approach your case the following way: Use "pickle" instead
of "cPickle" and debug picking/unpickling to find out what
happens in detail.

Mathieu Courtois

Thanks for your reply

The pickle interface is actually more complex and there are several

ways an object can ensure picklability. For example, there is

also a "__reduce__" method. I suppose, that "Exception" defines methods

which trigger the use of an alternative picklability approach (different

from "__getstate__/__setstate__").

You're right: Exception has __reduce__ & __reduce_ex__ methods. Always read carefully the manual ;-)

I must override these methods.

MC

Mathieu Courtois

Hello,

The simple example works fine using __reduce__:

class MyError(Exception):
def __init__(self, arg):
self.arg = arg

def __reduce__(self):