Why do images appear lower in FF than IE?

Chris Tomlinson

Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose Street,
Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in Firefox as
they already do in IE?
--
Thanks,
Me

Try Google Quik-e-search™ at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

Karl S

Chris said:
Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose Street,
Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in Firefox as
they already do in IE?

According to: http://validator.w3.org/

That page contains 82 coding errors.

I'll leave it to the experts in this group to do the real work of
answering your question, but I thought you might want to know there is
an automated validation service available to check your code.

Andy Mabbett

Chris said:
The site is currently in beta

Uh huh - so you're going to fully develop it, *then* fix all the errors?

Hang on, what's this:

xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

?
- we are aware of some errors.

So why haven't you fixed them, before coming here? How do you know that
one of them (or more than one, in combination) are not causing the
probelm you want people here to fix for you?
That wasn't the question though

Tough. This isn't a helpdesk.

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
the question though, but thanks anyway.

And you cannot see a possible connection? Okay....
If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.

"<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

Oh and here is another, the markup is a mess of deprecated junk,
inconsistency is bound to be a problem. Dump the deprecated
presentational attributes on your images and style them in your stylesheet.

Alan J. Flavell

The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors.

Then you should have the courtesy to correct them before appealing for
any further assistance!
That wasn't the question though, but thanks anyway.

You're not taking this seriously. The killfile awaits.
If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone bothers to offer you that kind of answer then they're not to
be trusted. No-one who took their web authoring seriously would
bother to apply their grey cells to something which did not pass the
applicable automated tools - except for cases where the plaintiff
needs help in understanding what the error report means.

Chris Tomlinson

Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.

"<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on them for
a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html section, the
graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were thinking it was just a
browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind enough to be able to offer a
more targeted suggestion as to what to change the html tag to, then much
kudos to you.
--
Thanks,
Me

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

Adrienne Boswell

Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on
them for a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html
section, the graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were
thinking it was just a browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind
enough to be able to offer a more targeted suggestion as to what to
change the html tag to, then much kudos to you.

You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
might fix itself.

All that is needed for the top of the document is:
<HTML>

You see, there is nothing there but the element itself.

Get rid of what ever Microsoft Office program you are using to spit out
this mess, and use a plain text editor. If you run the page through
HTML-Tidy, it has an option to clean up Microsoft stuff.

Chris Tomlinson

You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
might fix itself.

Thanks, we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
doctype, but it did not fix the problem reported in this thread (and
introduced some weird layout issues).

Could the reported problem just be a browser difference in how they position
images that are alongside text on the same line?
--

Chris said:
we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
doctype,

And have you succeeded?
but it [...]
introduced some weird layout issues

Then you either failed, or the layout issues were not introduced, but
exposed.

jojo

Chris said:
The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
the question though, but thanks anyway.
Excuse me, but how long is that site supposed to stay in "beta"? And
ASFAIK the term "beta" does not mean "we ignore all errors" it means
"this product may have some errors, we're about to fix them". But
correct me if I'm totally wrong.
If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, maybe some people here are able to answer your question. But only
very few will do.

jojo

jojo

Chris said:
Thanks, we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
doctype,

So why don't you upload it? Maybe some more people would look for your
problem if the code wasn't that untidy and wrong.

BTW: Does the site still break if you add a DOCTYPE??
but it did not fix the problem reported in this thread (and
introduced some weird layout issues).

Than your code is much more rubbish than I've guessed. The layout breaks
if you make your markup valid?!?
Just a hint: Use something else than FrontPage and rebuild your page.
Could the reported problem just be a browser difference in how they position
images that are alongside text on the same line?

Perhaps. I guess IE corrects some markup errors and is so kind to
display the invalid markup the way it is supposed to look. And FF
doesn't. But I just guessed.

jojo