    Me

    Try Google Quik-e-searchâ„¢ at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
    ....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

    Chris Tomlinson, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Chris Tomlinson

    Karl S Guest

    Chris Tomlinson wrote:
    > Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
    > options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose Street,
    > Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in Firefox as
    > they already do in IE?

    According to: http://validator.w3.org/

    That page contains 82 coding errors.

    I'll leave it to the experts in this group to do the real work of
    answering your question, but I thought you might want to know there is
    an automated validation service available to check your code.

    Karl S, Jul 30, 2006

  3. "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Tomlinson wrote:
    >> Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
    >> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
    >> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
    >> Firefox as they already do in IE?

    > According to: http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > That page contains 82 coding errors.

    The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
    the question though, but thanks anyway.

    If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Thanks,
    Me

    Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
    ....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

    Chris Tomlinson, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Chris Tomlinson

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <24%yg.109177$>, Chris
    Tomlinson <> writes

    >>>can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
    >>> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
    >>> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
    >>> Firefox as they already do in IE?

    >> According to: http://validator.w3.org/
    >>
    >> That page contains 82 coding errors.

    >The site is currently in beta

    Uh huh - so you're going to fully develop it, *then* fix all the errors?

    Hang on, what's this:

    xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

    ?

    >- we are aware of some errors.

    So why haven't you fixed them, before coming here? How do you know that
    one of them (or more than one, in combination) are not causing the
    probelm you want people here to fix for you?

    > That wasn't the question though

    Tough. This isn't a helpdesk.

    --
    Andy Mabbett
    Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

    Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

    Andy Mabbett, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Chris Tomlinson wrote:
    > "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    >> Chris Tomlinson wrote:
    >>> Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
    >>> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
    >>> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
    >>> Firefox as they already do in IE?

    >> According to: http://validator.w3.org/
    >>
    >> That page contains 82 coding errors.

    > The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
    > the question though, but thanks anyway.

    And you cannot see a possible connection? Okay....

    > If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

    Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.

    "<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
    xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

    Oh and here is another, the markup is a mess of deprecated junk,
    inconsistency is bound to be a problem. Dump the deprecated
    presentational attributes on your images and style them in your stylesheet.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 30, 2006
  6. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Chris Tomlinson wrote:

    > "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > That page contains 82 coding errors.

    > The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors.

    Then you should have the courtesy to correct them before appealing for
    any further assistance!

    > That wasn't the question though, but thanks anyway.

    You're not taking this seriously. The killfile awaits.

    > If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

    If anyone bothers to offer you that kind of answer then they're not to
    be trusted. No-one who took their web authoring seriously would
    bother to apply their grey cells to something which did not pass the
    applicable automated tools - except for cases where the plaintiff
    needs help in understanding what the error report means.

    Alan J. Flavell, Jul 30, 2006
  7. "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    > Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.
    >
    > "<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
    > xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    > xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

    Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on them for
    a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html section, the
    graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were thinking it was just a
    browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind enough to be able to offer a
    more targeted suggestion as to what to change the html tag to, then much
    kudos to you.

    Chris Tomlinson, Jul 30, 2006
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris Tomlinson" <>
    writing in news:si0zg.109215$:

    >> Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.
    >>
    >> "<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
    >> xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    >> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

    > Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on
    > them for a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html
    > section, the graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were
    > thinking it was just a browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind
    > enough to be able to offer a more targeted suggestion as to what to
    > change the html tag to, then much kudos to you.

    You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
    anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
    HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
    might fix itself.

    All that is needed for the top of the document is:
    <HTML>

    You see, there is nothing there but the element itself.

    Get rid of what ever Microsoft Office program you are using to spit out
    this mess, and use a plain text editor. If you run the page through
    HTML-Tidy, it has an option to clean up Microsoft stuff.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 30, 2006
  9. Chris Tomlinson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 31, 2006
  10. "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message

    > You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
    > anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
    > HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
    > might fix itself.

    Thanks, we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
    validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
    doctype, but it did not fix the problem reported in this thread (and
    introduced some weird layout issues).

    Could the reported problem just be a browser difference in how they position
    images that are alongside text on the same line?

    Chris Tomlinson, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Chris Tomlinson

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <N1czg.109532$>, Chris
    Tomlinson <> writes

    >we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
    >validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
    >doctype,

    And have you succeeded?

    >but it

    [...]
    > introduced some weird layout issues

    Then you either failed, or the layout issues were not introduced, but
    exposed.

    Andy Mabbett, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Chris Tomlinson

    jojo Guest

    Chris Tomlinson wrote:

    >> That page contains 82 coding errors.

    > The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
    > the question though, but thanks anyway.

    Excuse me, but how long is that site supposed to stay in "beta"? And
    ASFAIK the term "beta" does not mean "we ignore all errors" it means
    "this product may have some errors, we're about to fix them". But
    correct me if I'm totally wrong.

    > If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

    Yes, maybe some people here are able to answer your question. But only
    very few will do.

    jojo

    jojo, Aug 1, 2006
  13. Chris Tomlinson

    jojo Guest

    Chris Tomlinson wrote:

    > Thanks, we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
    > validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
    > doctype,

    So why don't you upload it? Maybe some more people would look for your
    problem if the code wasn't that untidy and wrong.

    BTW: Does the site still break if you add a DOCTYPE??

    > but it did not fix the problem reported in this thread (and
    > introduced some weird layout issues).

    Than your code is much more rubbish than I've guessed. The layout breaks
    if you make your markup valid?!?
    Just a hint: Use something else than FrontPage and rebuild your page.

    > Could the reported problem just be a browser difference in how they position
    > images that are alongside text on the same line?

    Perhaps. I guess IE corrects some markup errors and is so kind to
    display the invalid markup the way it is supposed to look. And FF
    doesn't. But I just guessed.

    jojo

    jojo, Aug 1, 2006