Why does IE6 require a doulbeclick for an onclick event to activate full code?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by webdeveloper, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. webdeveloper

    webdeveloper Guest

    An onclick event that activates two functions: one that expands a
    menu, another that swaps an image in the same menu hierarchy; in FF,
    only one click is required to both swap the image and expand the menu,
    as is intended.
    But in IE(6X) one click is required for swapping the image, and a
    second click to expand the menu. And in IE, on all subsequent clicks,
    just one click is required for both functions to fire, but the result
    is that the wrong image is being displayed since it was swapped before
    the menu expanded. Have tried to figure this out, but just couldn't
    come up with a solution.

    the code looks similar in structure to the following:

    function image_swap(){
    image_swap-code...
    }

    function menu_show(){
    menu_show-code...
    image_swap() //the first function is called within this one
    }

    Then inside the onclick attribute of the element is:
    onclick="menu_show()"; meaning the onclick event is supposed to
    activate both functions simultaneously, and does it in FF, but not in
    IE. What could possibly cause this?

    (have tried changing IE's image cache settings, as well as other
    things, but to no avail)

    Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

    Thank you very much for your help.
    webdeveloper, Feb 5, 2007

  2. webdeveloper

    RobG Guest

    Re: Why does IE6 require a doulbeclick for an onclick event to activatefull code?

    webdeveloper wrote:
    > An onclick event that activates two functions: one that expands a
    > menu, another that swaps an image in the same menu hierarchy; in FF,
    > only one click is required to both swap the image and expand the menu,
    > as is intended.
    > But in IE(6X) one click is required for swapping the image, and a
    > second click to expand the menu. And in IE, on all subsequent clicks,
    > just one click is required for both functions to fire, but the result
    > is that the wrong image is being displayed since it was swapped before
    > the menu expanded. Have tried to figure this out, but just couldn't
    > come up with a solution.
    >
    > the code looks similar in structure to the following:
    >
    > function image_swap(){
    > image_swap-code...
    > }
    >
    > function menu_show(){
    > menu_show-code...
    > image_swap() //the first function is called within this one
    > }
    >

    > Then inside the onclick attribute of the element is:
    > onclick="menu_show()"; meaning the onclick event is supposed to
    > activate both functions simultaneously, and does it in FF, but not in
    > IE. What could possibly cause this?

    Post a minimal example or link that demonstrates the issue and you might
    get a meaningful response.

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Feb 5, 2007