Why Doesn't XP Pro Show Size, Time and Date Mod of a Created File?

W. eWatson

I created a folder, and wrote a file to it. When I look at what files
are in it, they are correct. However, The Size, Type, and Date Mod are
not shown. Why am I missing those columns? I'm writing files with a
suffix of dat, which seem only to match up with video CD movie.

Mensanator

I created a folder, and wrote a file to it. When I look at what files
are in it, they are correct. However, The Size, Type, and Date Mod are
not shown. Why am I missing those columns? I'm writing files with a
suffix of dat, which seem only to match up with video CD movie.

Got to the View menu and select Details.

Once in the Details view, click on the column
headings and select which details to view.

W. eWatson

Mensanator said:
Got to the View menu and select Details.

Once in the Details view, click on the column
headings and select which details to view.

That's strange. I had gone to details before without any luck, but now
it's showing the above columns.

Gerhard Häring

W. eWatson said:
I created a folder, and wrote a file to it. When I look at what files
are in it, they are correct. However, The Size, Type, and Date Mod are
not shown. Why am I missing those columns? I'm writing files with a
suffix of dat, which seem only to match up with video CD movie.

That's probably a Windows Explorer thing. The column may be hidden or
moved away to the far right.

As far as Python is concerned, you can fetch this kind of information
with the stat() function of the os module.

import os, time
stat_info = os.stat("x")
print "size:", stat_info.st_size
print "modification time:", time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M",
time.localtime(stat_info.st_mtime))

-- Gerhard