    Is this intentional?
    (I had nothing to do with this; I assume this must be being
    done on purpose)

    lorlarz, Aug 20, 2008

  2. lorlarz <> writes:

    > Why is Crockford's new book (JavaScript: The Good Parts)
    > aready available free?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5cmqz3
    >
    > Is this intentional?
    > (I had nothing to do with this; I assume this must be being
    > done on purpose)

    That's ... optimistic. Or perhaps just naïve.
    I'd put my money on it being a clear-cut copyright violation.

    (And please don't use tinyurl's.)
    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Aug 21, 2008

  3. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 20, 6:04 pm, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:
    > lorlarz <> writes:
    > > Why is Crockford's newbook(JavaScript: The Good Parts)
    > > aready availablefree?

    [snip]

    > > Is this intentional?
    > > (I had nothing to do with this; I assume this must be being
    > >  done on purpose)

    > That's ... optimistic. Or perhaps just naïve.
    > I'd put my money on it being a clear-cut copyright violation.
    >
    > (And please don't use tinyurl's.)
    > /L
    > --
    > Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
    >  DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
    >   'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'

    I have decided you are correct and something illegal may well
    be going on
    there. I deleted my original post. If you delete your post,
    at least we wilol be doing nothing to contribute to the what
    is perhaps illegal activity.

    lorlarz, Aug 21, 2008
  4. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 21, 8:15 am, lorlarz <> wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 6:04 pm, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:
    >
    > > lorlarz <> writes:
    > > > Why is Crockford's newbook(JavaScript: The Good Parts)
    > > > aready availablefree?

    > [snip]
    >
    > > > Is this intentional?
    > > > (I had nothing to do with this; I assume this must be being
    > > >  done on purpose)

    > > That's ... optimistic. Or perhaps just naïve.
    > > I'd put my money on it being a clear-cut copyright violation.

    > > (And please don't use tinyurl's.)
    > > /L
    > > --
    > > Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
    > >  DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
    > >   'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'

    > I have decided you are correct and something illegal may well
    > be going on
    > there.  I deleted my original post.  If you delete your post,
    > at least we wilol be doing nothing to contribute to the what
    > is perhaps illegal activity.

    Soory for the typos. English is not my native language; babbling is.

    lorlarz, Aug 21, 2008
  5. lorlarz wrote:
    > I deleted my original post.

    No, you didn't. Cancel messages are ignored by most NNTP servers,
    because they're trivial to forge. Once you post something to Usenet,
    it's there forever.

    --
    Michael Wojcik
    Micro Focus

    Michael Wojcik, Aug 21, 2008
  6. Michael Wojcik wrote:
    > lorlarz wrote:
    >> I deleted my original post.

    > No, you didn't. Cancel messages are ignored by most NNTP servers,

    If that were the case, news.admin.net-abuse.usenet would be pretty useless.
    (People run cancel bots to remove spam in newsgroups automatically.)

    The issue here is instead that Google Groups, which "lorlarz" used for their
    trolling, does _not_ issue Cancel control messages when they are deleted in
    the archive (and ignores them when in their newsfeed), and *maybe* "lorlarz"
    has yet to understand what Usenet is and how it works. They could start
    with <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>.

    > because they're trivial to forge.

    So that would be a design decision made with disregard of the fact that
    social problems cannot be solved with technology. However, if Cancel-Lock
    was implemented by a server, trivial forging would not be possible.

    > Once you post something to Usenet, it's there forever.

    That would depend on how much time passed between the posting and the
    attempt to remove it.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 21, 2008