Why is my home page not valid XHTML?

Jukka K. Korpela

Spartanicus said:
Does here (IE 5.5).

Well, IE 5.5 is not IE 6. And I don't think IE 5.5 on Windows, or any
IE on Windows, supports object. Please use
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/object.html
for testing if you think otherwise.
Correct, but that doesn't amount to a blanket "doesn't work"

The "neither...nor..." amounts to "doesn't work". A conforming browser
either renders the object, or the fallback content.

Spartanicus

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Well, IE 5.5 is not IE 6. And I don't think IE 5.5 on Windows, or any
IE on Windows, supports object. Please use
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/object.html
for testing if you think otherwise.

Replaced text/html content has no intrinsic width and height, thus you
need to specify it. Some UAs may have defaults >0 in the absence of
author specified values, IIRC IE uses 0 if not specified.

Jukka K. Korpela

Spartanicus said:
Replaced text/html content has no intrinsic width and height, thus
you need to specify it. Some UAs may have defaults >0 in the
absence of author specified values, IIRC IE uses 0 if not
specified.

That's the usual explanation, yes. The fact still remains that IE
neither shows the object nor presents the fallback content.

The explanation doesn't hold water. It's simply an attempt to explain
away a browser bug. Try this:

<object data="foo.gif" type="text/gif">
Hello world
</object>

(I'm not even asking you to test with PNG images.)

When IE fails to display that either, will you explain that images have
no intrinsic width either?

What if it stopped displaying <h1> unless you set their width? Would it
be OK to justify this by saying that it just hasn't got defaults>0
for the width and height?

Spartanicus

Jukka K. Korpela said:
That's the usual explanation, yes. The fact still remains that IE
neither shows the object nor presents the fallback content.

The explanation doesn't hold water. It's simply an attempt to explain
away a browser bug. Try this:

<object data="foo.gif" type="text/gif">
Hello world
</object>

Try type="image/gif".

Spartanicus

Spartanicus said:
Try type="image/gif".

Forgot to test, doesn't work with the proper content type either if no
size is specified.

This does not do away with the point that the object construct is usable
in IE in certain circumstances, embedding text/html is perfectly
possible.