    Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
    intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
    not proprietary now ?

    Spiros Bousbouras, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Spiros Bousbouras

    T.M. Sommers Guest

    Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    > Why isn't C proprietary ?
    >
    > Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
    > intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
    > not proprietary now ?

    The original implementations were the intellectual property of
    AT&T, but not the language itself. Anyone can implement any
    language, as long as they do it on their own. There are, for
    instance, implementations of Java that do not come from Sun.

    --
    Thomas M. Sommers -- -- AB2SB

    T.M. Sommers, Sep 16, 2006

  3. On 16 Sep 2006 02:57:21 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "Spiros Bousbouras"
    <> wrote:

    >Why isn't C proprietary ?
    >
    >Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
    >intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
    >not proprietary now ?

    Because a decision was taken, presumably by AT&T, to offer the
    langauge definition up to ISO for standardization.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 16, 2006
  4. On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:52:24 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Mark McIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On 16 Sep 2006 02:57:21 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "Spiros Bousbouras"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Why isn't C proprietary ?
    >>
    >>Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
    >>intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
    >>not proprietary now ?

    >Because a decision was taken, presumably by AT&T, to offer the
    >langauge definition up to ISO for standardization.

    .... and to follow up my own post. Dennis Ritchie's website has more
    detail in the "development of C" section, which is an interesting read
    in itself.
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 16, 2006
  5. In article <450bdeb4$0$21519$>,
    T.M. Sommers <> wrote:

    >The original implementations were the intellectual property of
    >AT&T, but not the language itself. Anyone can implement any
    >language, as long as they do it on their own. There are, for
    >instance, implementations of Java that do not come from Sun.

    Generally companies that want to control a language do so by
    trademarking the name, as Sun have done with Java. They can't stop
    you writing a compatible compiler, but they can stop you calling it by
    their name (at least for commercial implementations).

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Sep 17, 2006