Why Names Different on Task and Title Bars?

Nehmo Sergheyev

How come when I go to
http://www.syria4you.com/html/
I get the name of the page correctly in on the taskbar, but in the title
bar of IE6, I just see the square placeholders?
In Notepad the title tag is
<title>ÓæÑíÉ ãä ÃÌáß - ÚÏÇÏ</title>

I don't understand that language, BTW. It could be Arabic.

I have Win XP Home SP1.

David Dorward

Nehmo said:
How come when I go to
http://www.syria4you.com/html/
I get the name of the page correctly in on the taskbar, but in the title
bar of IE6, I just see the square placeholders?
In Notepad the title tag is
<title>ÓæÑíÉ ãä ÃÌáß - ÚÏÇÏ</title>

Probably becuase the font you use for the title bar and the font your use
for the taskbar are different. One contains the needed characters and one
doesn't.

Augustus

Nehmo Sergheyev said:
How come when I go to
http://www.syria4you.com/html/
I get the name of the page correctly in on the taskbar, but in the title
bar of IE6, I just see the square placeholders?
In Notepad the title tag is
<title>ÓæÑíÉ ãä ÃÌáß - ÚÏÇÏ</title>

I don't understand that language, BTW. It could be Arabic.

I have Win XP Home SP1.

I see arabic at the top of the browser and the same arabic in the taskbar

IE6, Win2K-Server

If you only install the critical windows service packs you probably didn't
download some of the "non-critical" ones that have the extra languages in
them

Safalra

Nehmo Sergheyev said:
How come when I go to
http://www.syria4you.com/html/
I get the name of the page correctly in on the taskbar, but in the title
bar of IE6, I just see the square placeholders?

Works for me - I suspect the font you're using for title bars doesn't
have the necessary characters.
In Notepad the title tag is
<title>ÓæÑíÉ ãä ÃÌáß - ÚÏÇÏ</title>

That's just notepad misinterpretting the character encoding.

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
- Safalra -
Works for me - I suspect the font you're using for title bars doesn't
have the necessary characters.

- Nehmo -
Where on the page code does it indicate which font to use?

I tried in IE6, Tools> Internet Options> General tab> Language button>
Add button> Arabic (Syria) [ar-sy] . But the page still shows the
placeholders as characters in the title bar of IE6. It seems that
language preference is just the order of priority of which language is
displayed.

The style sheet appears to be
<LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="themes/s4u/style/style.css"
TYPE="text/css">
So I go to
http://www.syria4you.com/themes/s4u/style/style.css
But I don't see anything.

If it's something in the Win XP language or font options, where is the
option to add the proper font or language? If the font is showing up on
the taskbar, I must already have it somewhere.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:08:00 GMT, Nehmo Sergheyev is reported
to have stated:
Where on the page code does it indicate which font to use?

This is nothing to do with the site you are visiting.
If it's something in the Win XP language or font options, where is the
option to add the proper font or language? If the font is showing up on
the taskbar, I must already have it somewhere.

It is in the display settings of your OS. Right click
desktop>Properties>Appearance tab. Change the font for the title bar to one
that contains the necessary characters.

Is the same for both title bar and taskbar in my Win 2k though, so not sure
whether it will help you much. :-|