wikiwiki and authentication

jm

Looking a ruwiki (and others) it seems there is a great range of wikis
to choose from, but they all seem to lack one problem. There doesn't
seem to be any information floating around about how to extend any of
these to use different authentication methods. I'm intending to deploy
a wiki at work. This seems to be a great opportunity to get ruby in by
the side door, however, to do this it will need to be able to
authenticate off the existing domain server. This could be done using
either via samba or pam. Having no wish to re-invent the wheel, has
anyone tried this in the past?

J.

Chad Fowler

Looking a ruwiki (and others) it seems there is a great range of wikis
to choose from, but they all seem to lack one problem.

I couldn't resist...isn't it *good* to lack a problem? ;)
There doesn't
seem to be any information floating around about how to extend any of
these to use different authentication methods. I'm intending to deploy
a wiki at work. This seems to be a great opportunity to get ruby in by
the side door, however, to do this it will need to be able to
authenticate off the existing domain server. This could be done using
either via samba or pam. Having no wish to re-invent the wheel, has
anyone tried this in the past?

The simplest way would probably be to use mod_whatever for Apache and
run the wiki through Apache.

Chad

Aredridel

either via samba or pam. Having no wish to re-invent the wheel, has
The simplest way would probably be to use mod_whatever for Apache and
run the wiki through Apache.

Agreed -- such modules are stable and robust. No need to re-invent the
wheel.

Ari, a user of mod_auth_ldap

jm

I couldn't resist...isn't it *good* to lack a problem? ;) :)

The simplest way would probably be to use mod_whatever for Apache and
run the wiki through Apache.

If only it was that simple, it's not a straight this-person has access.
It's more this group has read to all these pages, but only read-write
to subset. While another group also has read to a set of pages and
read-write to a sub-set which differs from the first group of users.
Not a good explanation, but I think you know what I mean. I'd prefer to
give everyone r/w access to all of it as I think most employees can be
trusted and quiet a few will have something to contribute that is of
value. This won't fly though.

May be I'm missing something and this is possible through apaches acls.

Jeff.

Sascha Doerdelmann

jm said:
I'm intending to deploy
a wiki at work. This seems to be a great opportunity to get ruby in by
the side door

But as they are many feature rich and fast wikis around which are
implemented in other languages this Ruby wiki has to be very good to
achieve this.

Cheers
Sascha

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Its a hack, but if the wiki has meaningul urls, you can use webserver
url matching to set security based on page names, etc. If I recall,
this is the Location directive with Apache- I think it's even possible
to match based on regular expressions.

Nick