    that wildcards allow any element from the referenced schema while import
    only allows the specified elements? Are there any subtle differences that
    I should know about?

    Grant Robertson, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Grant Robertson wrote:
    > When I import a schema, does that allow ANY elements from the
    > imported schema to be used ANYWHERE in the XML instance document?

    No.

    The importing schema still defines the structure of its own elements.
    The imported elements may only be used in places where the importing
    schema explicitly references them, or uses a wildcard/ANY to allow them.

    Suggested reading:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#composition-schemaImport

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 6, 2007

  3. In article <>, keshlam-
    says...
    > The importing schema still defines the structure of its own elements.
    > The imported elements may only be used in places where the importing
    > schema explicitly references them, or uses a wildcard/ANY to allow them.

    Thanks, again, for your help.

    Grant Robertson, Jun 7, 2007