Will IP address change during a session?

olduncleamos

Hi all.

Is there any legitimate reason the IP address from a client will
change between request? I am wondering if I can autheticate a session
by making sure they all come from the same IP. I realize that dial up
servers will assign a different IP to the users each time they
connect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It is unlikely, but it is possible since proxy servers can do pretty much
whatever they want in this regard.

bruce barker

every page fetch/post is a new connection. some proxies use more than 1 nat
addresses, in this case the ip address can change on every page request.
also if there a pool of proxies, not uncommon, the proxies have their own
nat address, so the ip will change often.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Hi all.
|
| Is there any legitimate reason the IP address from a client will
| change between request? I am wondering if I can autheticate a session
| by making sure they all come from the same IP. I realize that dial up
| servers will assign a different IP to the users each time they
| connect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

James Moore

Yes, they're going to change, and they're going to do it often. AOL is
particularly bad about this sort of thing; you can see IP address from all
over the map from one page request to the next from the same customer.

Proxies make this sort of thing unworkable for most sites.

- James

Chris Simmons

Hi all.

Is there any legitimate reason the IP address from a client will
change between request? I am wondering if I can autheticate a session
by making sure they all come from the same IP. I realize that dial up
servers will assign a different IP to the users each time they
connect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Would Page.Session.SessionID work for you instead of this? I'd have
to agree with the other posters; IPs are not your answer here.

olduncleamos

Hi all.

Is there any legitimate reason the IP address from a client will
change between request? I am wondering if I can autheticate a session
by making sure they all come from the same IP. I realize that dial up
servers will assign a different IP to the users each time they
connect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for shooting down a perfectly good idea in 2 hours flat.
:^) Back to the drawing board I go....