Will <strong> tags be deprecated?

Fabian

Hello,

I'm new here so if there's a FAQ or something or if I'm doing something
wrong, correct me and accept my apologies :)

So, I'm in a heavy discussion with some people at my school about <strong>
and <em> tags. Some of them say these tags will be deprecated. I know when
XML comes around all tags will be deprecated, but I mean in a short notice
of time?

And is it better to use <strong>-tags or special css tags to define just
something to be bold. In my opinion, I'd say I would stick to the <strong>
tags, they are meant to put things bold. It's obvious.

Can anyone give me an appropriate answer about this?

better <strong> or <span style="font-weight: bold;"> when it only comes to
put things bold.

Thanks, Fabian Deceuninck
http://givelove.be/

Hywel Jenkins

Hello,

I'm new here so if there's a FAQ or something or if I'm doing something
wrong, correct me and accept my apologies :)

So, I'm in a heavy discussion with some people at my school about <strong>
and <em> tags. Some of them say these tags will be deprecated. I know when
XML comes around all tags will be deprecated

Eh? You'll still need to transform the XML so that it can be rendered
by the browser. XML is simply a data format, after all.

And is it better to use <strong>-tags or special css tags to define just
something to be bold. In my opinion, I'd say I would stick to the <strong>
tags, they are meant to put things bold. It's obvious.

Can anyone give me an appropriate answer about this?

better <strong> or <span style="font-weight: bold;"> when it only comes to
put things bold.

Depends on whether you want to change the meaning of the sentence.

Fabian

Hywel said:
Eh? You'll still need to transform the XML so that it can be rendered
by the browser. XML is simply a data format, after all.

Well, I meant that, I just worded it wrong. Or however you say it. I'm Dutch
and I lack good knowledge of technical English. Sorry :)

Depends on whether you want to change the meaning of the sentence.

Uhm. What do you mean by that? The meaning of the sentence like in change
the properties of <strong> ? So it can do more things than bold?

If it's that, no. I just want like one word bold. What's better than? Or a
paragraph.

Steve Pugh

Fabian said:
So, I'm in a heavy discussion with some people at my school about <strong>
and <em> tags. Some of them say these tags will be deprecated.

<strong> and <em> are the XHTML 2.0 draft so will be around for a
while. There's no reason to deprecate them as they server a useful
function - of marking emphasis.
I know when
XML comes around all tags will be deprecated, but I mean in a short notice
of time?

What does XML have to do with it?
XML is not a replacement for HTML and XML is already here so I think
you must be confused. XML certainly isn't going to deprecate all tags,
whatever that would mean.
And is it better to use <strong>-tags or special css tags to define just
something to be bold. In my opinion, I'd say I would stick to the <strong>
tags, they are meant to put things bold. It's obvious.

No they are not maent to put things in bold. They are meant to
strongly emphasise things. That may or may not be rendered as bold. If
you just want to make something bold, but do not want to strongly
emphasise it then yous said:

No. <strong> and <em> are in XHTML 2.0.
<i> and <b> are not deprecated - they are just fine in XHTML 1.1 but
don't exist at all in XHTML 2.0, they've skipped right over the
deprecation phase.
And what's
better <strong> or <span style="font-weight: bold;"> when it only comes to
put things bold.

If it is being strongly emphasised then <strong> is correctt,
regardless of whether it is styled as being bold or not.
Inline styles are generally a bad idea, but font-weight: bold; is
correct for text that is tobe bold, applied to whatever the most
appropriate (X)HTML element is.

Steve

Fabian

Thanks for your good response.

About the XML you're right, I don't know enough about it. Sorry. I wás
confused. We haven't learned a lot about it yet. :) Forgive me :p

the next version?

Thanks!

Fabian

Hywel Jenkins

Well, I meant that, I just worded it wrong. Or however you say it. I'm Dutch
and I lack good knowledge of technical English. Sorry :)

Uhm. What do you mean by that? The meaning of the sentence like in change
the properties of <strong> ? So it can do more things than bold?

Appearance-wise, probably not. However, and audio browser (one that
reads the page to those with poor eysight) may apply particular emphasis
to <strong>this text</strong> whereas the style of <span style="font-
weight:Bold;">this text said:
If it's that, no. I just want like one word bold. What's better than? Or a
paragraph.

It depends why you want the text emboldened. As I've just come back
from the gym and can hardly type, there's no chance that I can come up
with examples of either case.

Toby A Inkster

Fabian said:
the next version?

Wrong. <b> and <i> will not be deprecated in the next version of XHTML,
they will not be in the next version of XHTML *at* *all*!

Andy Dingley

the next version?

I doubt if any will be deprecated. <i> and <b> have such a long
typographic tradition that they're arguably as much a piece of content
as a piece of presentation.

Micah Cowan

Fabian said:
Hello,

I'm new here so if there's a FAQ or something or if I'm doing something
wrong, correct me and accept my apologies :)

So, I'm in a heavy discussion with some people at my school about <strong>
and <em> tags. Some of them say these tags will be deprecated. I know when
XML comes around all tags will be deprecated, but I mean in a short notice
of time?

XML has been around for some time. It's goals do not include
replacing HTML; they have more to do with replacing SGML. But to
talk about when XML "comes around" is kind of silly.

If you are referring to XHTML, I wouldn't bother with
forward-compatibility (to versions above 1.0/parts-of-1.1, that
is), it's a complete (and much needed) redesign. Unfortunately, I
have this feeling that XHTML 2.0 will never really be supported
by main-stream stuff... hope I'm wrong.

I'm pairing the above quote with a related question from later in
your message:
better <strong> or <span style="font-weight: bold;"> when it only comes to
put things bold.

<i> and <b>, IMO, should have been deprecated some time
ago. I have never heard of <strong> and <em> being deprecated,
and find that highly unlikely, considering that, of the four you
mentioned, they are the only ones that indicate the intended
*meaning* rather than formatting. Note that <strike> and <u> are
already deprecated, and will not be found in the strict DTD.

As to which is better, it depends on context. If you want
something bold, there must be a *reason*. If the reason is to
strengthen or emphasize a phrase or word, <strong> and <em> are
entirely appropriate. If the intention is to typographically
differentiate a word or phrase (say, a programming language
keyword), you should probably use span with a class (inline style
attribute would be a poor idea). Say said:
And is it better to use <strong>-tags or special css tags to define just
something to be bold. In my opinion, I'd say I would stick to the <strong>
tags, they are meant to put things bold. It's obvious.

Strong is *not* meant to put things in bold--you should not rely
on that. The standard specifically says, "The presentation of
phrase elements [such as STRONG and EM] depends on the user
agent." It goes on to say how they have typically been formatted;
but they exist *explicitly* so you don't have to have knowledge
of how they are formatted. If you want them formatted a specific
way, you should use CSS to indicate so.

-Micah

Steve Pugh

Fabian said:
the next version?

No, as I said <i> and <b> are not in the XHTML 2.0 draft at all.
They will not deprecated (like <font> is in HTML 4) they will simply
not be there at all.

Steve

Leif K-Brooks

Micah Cowan said:
If the intention is to typographically
differentiate a word or phrase (say, a programming language
keyword), you should probably use span with a class (inline style
attribute would be a poor idea). Say, <span class="prog-lang-keywd">.

What's wrong with <code>?