Win2k and mingw gnu compiler with Python 2.3.2?

Discussion in 'Python' started by dbrown2@yahoo.com, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to understand and document how to install pypar on Win2k.
    Pypar needs to be installed with some MPI library code and also needs
    libpython23.a and other files which are not included with the python
    Windows binary installation. I've got that worked out but still no
    success.

    Here's the error message I'm seeing:

    >python setup.py install
    >running install
    >running build
    >running build_py
    >running build_ext
    >error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and

    extensions need to
    >be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't

    installed.

    I also get the error if I use gcc directly. I'm trying to use the
    mingw version of the gnu compiler in a command window (not cygwin). I
    have made this appoach work on python 2.2 but not 2.3. Does anyone
    know of a work-around or at least what might be happening? I'm more
    of a scripter, not a full-time programmer, and moving quickly out of
    my depth on this one.

    Dave Brown

    , Oct 22, 2003

  2. John J. Lee Guest

    writes:

    > I'm trying to understand and document how to install pypar on Win2k.
    > Pypar needs to be installed with some MPI library code and also needs
    > libpython23.a and other files which are not included with the python
    > Windows binary installation. I've got that worked out but still no
    > success.

    It's a pain, isn't it?

    > Here's the error message I'm seeing:
    >
    > >python setup.py install

    [...]
    > >error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and

    > extensions need to
    > >be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't

    > installed.
    >
    > I also get the error if I use gcc directly. I'm trying to use the
    > mingw version of the gnu compiler in a command window (not cygwin). I

    Something like

    python setup.py install -cmingw32

    ? But if that is the problem, dunno why you were getting away with it
    on 2.2.

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 23, 2003

    John,

    Still no luck. When I run "build" I do use the compiler flag as
    shown:

    C:>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
    C:>running build
    C:>running build_py
    C:>running build_ext
    C:>

    This seems to work fine. The "install" command will not accept a
    compiler option. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    The error
    "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
    need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it
    isn't installed."

    appears to be a windows issue related to the compiler used to build
    the binary installer version. I could not find mention at python.org
    of who actually produces the windows installer and also couldn't find
    a credit in the installer itself. Could someone point me to an
    appropriate contact or email to report this? It doesn't appear to be
    a python language issue.

    -- David

    (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<>...
    > writes:
    >
    > > I'm trying to understand and document how to install pypar on Win2k.
    > > Pypar needs to be installed with some MPI library code and also needs
    > > libpython23.a and other files which are not included with the python
    > > Windows binary installation. I've got that worked out but still no
    > > success.

    > It's a pain, isn't it?
    >

    > > Here's the error message I'm seeing:
    > >
    > > >python setup.py install

    > [...]
    > > >error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and

    > extensions need to
    > > >be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't

    > > installed.
    > >
    > > I also get the error if I use gcc directly. I'm trying to use the
    > > mingw version of the gnu compiler in a command window (not cygwin). I

    > Something like
    >
    > python setup.py install -cmingw32
    >

    > ? But if that is the problem, dunno why you were getting away with it
    > on 2.2.
    >

    > John

    , Oct 23, 2003
  4. On Fri, 23 Oct 2003 wrote:

    > Still no luck. When I run "build" I do use the compiler flag as
    > shown:
    >
    > C:>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
    > C:>running build
    > C:>running build_py
    > C:>running build_ext
    > C:>
    >
    > This seems to work fine. The "install" command will not accept a
    > compiler option. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    >
    > The error
    > "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
    > need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it
    > isn't installed."
    >
    > appears to be a windows issue related to the compiler used to build
    > the binary installer version. I could not find mention at python.org
    > of who actually produces the windows installer and also couldn't find
    > a credit in the installer itself. Could someone point me to an
    > appropriate contact or email to report this? It doesn't appear to be
    > a python language issue.

    I'm sure that this has come up on the Distutils-SIG mailing list, and ISTR
    someone came up with a workaround. I suggest a scan of the list archives.

    --
    Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
    E-mail: (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370

    Andrew MacIntyre, Oct 24, 2003
  5. John J. Lee Guest

    writes:
    > (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<>...

    [...]

    [...]
    > > python setup.py install -cmingw32

    [...]
    > Still no luck. When I run "build" I do use the compiler flag as
    > shown:
    >
    > C:>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
    > C:>running build
    > C:>running build_py
    > C:>running build_ext
    > C:>
    >
    > This seems to work fine. The "install" command will not accept a
    > compiler option. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    OK, remembering something I think Thomas Heller said, how about this:

    python setup.py build -cmingw32 install

    Does that work?

    > The error
    > "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
    > need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it
    > isn't installed."
    >
    > appears to be a windows issue related to the compiler used to build
    > the binary installer version. I could not find mention at python.org

    Yep, as I said in the other thread you started, AAIU it's because MSVC
    7 and MSVC 6 clash. This is the case with most pairs of compilers you
    might pick, AFAIK, so mingw is a special case, specifically designed
    to facilitate linking with MSVC C code (but not C++, sadly).

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 25, 2003