window.open(... causes an error on the ISP but not on the development system

AAaron123

If the user clicks an anchor and request a popup window displaying an image

The function in the folder JavaScript:

openWindow(..

uses window.open(... to display the image in a new window.

This works OK on my machine.

But on the ISP's all that happens is IE displays at the bottom left the
message:

Error on page.

I have no idea how to debug something on the ISP's machine that works on
mine.

Got any idea what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks in advance

Vinay Khaitan

If you could give web address, I would have even debugged it. Javascripts
are easy to debug even on remote machines.

May be you can use firefox once. In the error console, your actual error can
be found. In internet explorer, you need to enable debugging from options.

Most probably, some path problem.

AAaron123

Firefox's error console was all I needed to find the bug. Glad I now know
about that!
Thanks

--
Vinay Khaitan
[Windows Forms Layout Control]

AAaron123 said:
If the user clicks an anchor and request a popup window displaying an
image

The function in the folder JavaScript:

openWindow(..

uses window.open(... to display the image in a new window.

This works OK on my machine.

But on the ISP's all that happens is IE displays at the bottom left the
message:

Error on page.

I have no idea how to debug something on the ISP's machine that works on
mine.

Got any idea what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks in advance

Vinay Khaitan

If you also develop against IE, then you definitely need this:
While we are at it, let us also have the firefox equivalent.
Firebug

It is better than IE developer toolbar.
BTW, it looks like AAron didn't have IE debugging on. Otherwise, IE even
opens debugger to debug javascript problem. If aaron didn't know how to open
debugger in IE for remote application, he could ahve asked for it.

AAaron123

Vinay Khaitan said:
While we are at it, let us also have the firefox equivalent.
Firebug

It is better than IE developer toolbar.
BTW, it looks like AAron didn't have IE debugging on. Otherwise, IE even
opens debugger to debug javascript problem. If aaron didn't know how to
open debugger in IE for remote application, he could ahve asked for it.
I got it, thanks. I do seem to have more trouble with Firefox then with IE.
Mostly I find a way to get it to display correctly, but
I could never get Firefox to color scroll bars like IE does.

I have in the file ColorScrollbar.js
var htmlStyle = document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].style;

var bodyStyle = document.body.style;

bodyStyle.scrollbarShadowColor = htmlStyle.scrollbarShadowColor = 'orange';

....more like the last line...

I insert it with this
<script type="text/javascript"
src="..\JavaScripts\ColorScrollbar.js"></script>

But the color of scrollbars do not take on the color specified

I tried looking for something with the new tool but did not find anything.

Thanks again

AAaron123

Mark Rae said:
Thank you, I did download it.

From it I also found the page
which list for down load an MS script debugger and an MS script editor.

Unfortunately, all the links it lists as having more info about them are
broken. But the download links are not.

Do you happen to know if these are useful tools in the asp.net development
environment?

Thanks for the pointer to the IE tool.

AAaron123

Mark Rae said:
Changing the scrollbar colour is totally non-standard behaviour, and yet
another example of why IE (at least, before version 7) was probably the
worst piece of software Microsoft ever produced. Unfortunately, it was
also one of the most successful in terms of usage because it comes bundled
with Windows...

See here for further details:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic15885.htm

However, BE VERY CAREFUL about anything which changes the way a user has
configured their browser. It may be that a user has an unusual
colour-blindness disability and needs scrollbars in a particular colour...

Best I can tell from that site is it can't be done. It good to know - I can
stop looking now.

As to your warning: What about background color and font color. I should not
touch their values?

I give the user a few choices for background/font color for the reasons
including the one you gave.

I wanted to also make the scroll bars to match.

Thanks a lot

AAaron123

Mark Rae said:
Not if you're already using Visual Studio...
That's why your inputs are so valuable. The internet is full of suggestions
that are obsolete for VS2008 and asp.net with no indication of that. Books
are better but you can't always find what you want even after looking at a
few of them. The Internet search is better but less precise. Your inputs
(and a few others in this NG) are the best help.

Thanks