Windows 7 can't install rails...

Dale E. Moore

I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but; I can't seem to get started and learn
more.

c:\ruby\bin>gem install rails
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
HTTP Response 403

c:\ruby\bin>gem list --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
HTTP Response 403

Any suggestions you have are very much appreciated,
Dale E. Moore

Brian Candler

Dale said:
c:\ruby\bin>gem install rails
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
HTTP Response 403

Are you behind a HTTP proxy which requires authentication?

"gem help install" says there is a -p option for setting a HTTP proxy.
Perhaps you can also set the username/password in the URL, e.g.
http://username:[email protected]:3128/

Luis Lavena

I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but; I can't seem to get started and learn
more.

c:\ruby\bin>gem install rails
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
    HTTP Response 403

c:\ruby\bin>gem list --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
    HTTP Response 403

Any suggestions you have are very much appreciated,

The issue is not Windows 7, but the RubyGems version you're using.

1) Check the Ruby version and RubyGems version you're using.

ruby -v
gem --version

2) Ensure you're using RubyGems 1.3.5, if not, please manually install
it as indicated here:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/08/04/problems-with-rubygems-find-here-some-handy-tips/

3) If you're using an older version of One-Click Installer, I
recommend migration to RubyInstaller RC1:

http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=35591

You will find more information in the wiki page about this version of
Ruby and Rails:

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials

Wilker

Dear Luis;

Your response is WONDERFUL, thank you!

I've installedhttp://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/66872/rubyinstaller-1.9.1-p243-...
and she is working perfectly.

I appreciate your prompt and informative reply!
Dale

Note, i'm having the same problem, and I did the instalation of new
Ruby instaler (1.8), it seemed to worked fine, but this has seriours
problems with some gems, in my case with Json gem (witch can't
compile) and with Postgres-pr (witch having socket problems). I back
to the older one click instaler, and them instaled Rubygems 1.3.5
manually and all is working fine.

Luis Lavena

Note, i'm having the same problem, and I did the instalation of new
Ruby instaler (1.8), it seemed to worked fine, but this has seriours
problems with some gems, in my case with Json gem (witch can't
compile) and with Postgres-pr (witch having socket problems). I back
to the older one click instaler, and them instaled Rubygems 1.3.5
manually and all is working fine.

TO solve the issue of the gems need compilation you should have
downloaded the DevKit:

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/development-kit

The Development Kit provides the compiler toolset required to install
gems that lack Windows native versions.

With it, most gems will compile and install just fine.

JSON authors and others are integrating a tool called 'rake-compiler'
to make it more easy release Windows gems of these projects.

Until all them do it, I recommend you install the DevKit.

Contrary to One-Click, setup of it is just extract and performance is
much better:

http://antoniocangiano.com/2009/08/04/a-faster-ruby-on-windows-is-possible/