Windows 7 Environment Setup - Python, R, mySQL

Discussion in 'Python' started by grobs456, Feb 24, 2011.

  1. grobs456

    grobs456 Guest

    I am following along with this tutorial/post:
    http://www.walkerjeff.com/2011/02/python-to-r-via-mysql-on-windows-7-x64/

    I am visualizing trying to setup some type of real world data/
    interactions and stumbled upon this article. I am also on a 64bit
    Windows 7 machine.

    I am rusty in a sense as I have primarily been doing SQL Development/
    Reporting on a DW and QA work for the past 3 years since graduating. I
    could use some support if anyone is available. I am prepared to
    provide any info one needs to better understand where I stand.

    I have begun fiddling with Python and R and am ready to re-install
    MySQL when I am sure of which version to get.

    Here is my environment/setup:

    Directories I am working through tutorials at, saving source code,
    etc.
    C:\dev\r
    C:\dev\python

    Python/R:
    C:\Python27
    C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.1

    Questions:
    MySQL-python-1.2.1.tar.gz is for Linux, am I overlooking a Windows
    version?
    Should I install MySQL first? an earlier version of Python?
    I am not sure which file I should download with regards to RMySQL.

    Any assistance and advice would be highly valued. I am obviously first
    trying to get the environment up and running(which is what is
    overwhelming me a bit), and then come up with a real world scenarios
    of some sort that would enable me to play with all 3 languages to
    better understand the interactions/possibilities.

    I feel this would be a good way to dive into Python as I love being
    connected to a database and R would provide the option to graphically
    display the data in a multitude of formats and or gather statistics. I
    have a job interview coming up and I want to bang some nails before
    it.

    Kind Regards.

    grobs456, Feb 24, 2011