windows authentication but still getting Login box

Guest

Hi

Any ideas on this... having moved the web app to another server, and setup
all the WebApp data (disable anonymous access etc), locally my site still
asks me for a Username/Password, even though I've got
authentication="Windows" in web.config.

On another machine on the network, I don't get the Login box, but I just get
a 401.2 error (you are not authorised to view this page).

I've tried using impersonate, to no avail. What could be wrong?

Help appreciated

Cheers

Dan

Scott Allen

You'll get the login box when the web server cannot authenticate the
credentials the browser is sending. (In the 401.2 scenario, the
browser could authenticate the credentials and then decided the
credentials were not authorized).

This could happen, for instance, when you are logged into a different
domain then the web server.

Guest

Hi

How do I make sure the domain and web server are the same? I assumed they
are, as the domain controller / active directory and iis are running on the
same win 2k machine.

on the server, when i get the login box, if i give my user name and pass
(same as for loggin onto 2k) and the domain, it works. im not even getting
the box on the xp box across the network...

How do I fix this?

Scott Allen

Hi Dan:

Ah, if the behavior differs between different clients, then you also
might want to check the IE settings. In IE, under Tools -> Internet
Options -> Security, highlight the 'zone' the server will be in and
click on 'custom level'. Scroll down to the bottom and see if IE is
set to "Prompt for username and password".