windows authentication login

xke

I have windows authentication mode enabled on my application.

If I access the website with localhost/mywebsite I get logged in
directly and LoginView control will display my account name.

When I access my application from another machine (ipaddress/
mywebsite) a login screen will pop up. Everything is fine if I enter
correct credentials but I would like users to be able to automaticaly
login from within the network without the login screen.

Any way to do that?
Thanks

Peter Bradley

How are you going to transmit your credentials to the remote Web server?
How does it know who you are unless you log in?

Peter

xke

Hi Peter,

I thought there may be a way once you're logged in into the network it
shouldn't check for your credentials again.

Thanks

Peter Bradley

Don't think so.

When you send a request for a page to a Web server, you do just that - you
send an HTTP request. What Windows authentication does for you, if I
understand it correctly, is to authenticate against Windows ACLs once the
required credentials have been supplied.

I'm not sure why it works on your local machine - possibly because the Web
server is allowing all calls from the local host. It would be interesting
to see what happens if a non-privileged user accessed the application
locally.

You might find this useful:

http://www.authenticationtutorial.com/tutorial/ntlm.htm

Peter