windows c-runtime library

Lutz Altmann

Hi there,

i've a question related to the usage of the win32 c-runtime libraries:

I have a dynamic library - this one is linked to the static
multithreaded runtime lib (non debug . \MT)

Now my question is :
When i use this DLL from another program - can there arise problems
when this program itself uses a different version of the c-runtime
lib - or is it uncritical?

Thanks in advance,
Lutz

Lionel B

Hi there,

i've a question related to the usage of the win32 c-runtime libraries:

I have a dynamic library - this one is linked to the static
multithreaded runtime lib (non debug . \MT)

Now my question is :
When i use this DLL from another program - can there arise problems when
this program itself uses a different version of the c-runtime lib - or
is it uncritical?

And your C++ language question is...?

Victor Bazarov

Lutz said:
well, the question is not c++ language specific - however it is
related to c++ in general i think.

I am a C++ programmer. Is the question what I had today for lunch
"related to C++"? One can argue that it is...

That's of course an extreme example. But your question is about DLLs
and about different versions of DLLs using different versions of the
_C_ runtime. Since DLLs are a feature of your OS, you need to ask
in the newsgroup that deals with your OS.

Generally speaking, if I write my own version of 'sqrt' and use your
code which uses *its* own version of 'sqrt', can there be a problem?

The answer is, yes, there can be. But there has to exist a whole
host of conditions under which using two different versions of 'sqrt'
(or 'sin', or 'memcpy', or 'time') might become a problem. You have
not given any particulars. Besides, you used the magic word "DLL".
Absence of real information and presence of OS-specific elements
makes your question unanswerable, more or less. It is, however, our
duty to suggest that the reason it's unanswerable because lies in
the fact that you are asking in a wrong place. Perhaps folks in the
newsgroup for your OS or your compiler know the answer already and
don't need more information. Catch my drift?

Lutz Altmann

[...]

ok you're right - i'll post my question on windows related
programming
group again .. thanks nevertheless ;)