Windows Forms UserControl Hosted in IE now loads in 2.0 framework instead of 1.1 on dev box

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Keith, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Please help.

    I've been developing a windows forms user control to be hosted in
    IE/ASP.NET. The control is developed in .NET v1.1, and for now I'll need to
    keep it in that version. Recently I installed .NET 2.0. Now the control
    loads into .NET 2.0 instead of 1.1 (per System.Environment.Runtime) on my
    development box. I'm using an app.config file that I'm pulling into the aspx
    page using a <link> element. In that config file I'm specifiying v1.1, like
    so, but it has no effect:

    <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>
    </startup>

    How can I force IE to load the control using .NET 1.1 instead of 2.0? Thanks
    for your help.

    Keith

    Keith, Nov 18, 2005

  2. IE is unable to determine which version of the Framework your control was
    written against. It will therefor always run against the latest version
    installed on your machine. In this case, 2.0.

    The channel 9 video details it:

    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=73151

    Might find some info here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframew...=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp

    --

    Andrew Robinson
    www.binaryocean.com

    Andrew Robinson, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Keith

    Keith A Guest

    Thanks Andrew.

    That doc you cited says on a box with both 1.1 and 2.0 Internet Explorer
    "Loads with 2.0 unless the process is configured to run against 1.1". Do
    you know how to configure the process to run against 1.1? It makes
    testing much less convenient. Thanks again.

    Keith

    Keith A, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Here's Andrew's post. For some reason it's only showing up on
    developersdex.com.
    -------------------------

    IE is unable to determine which version of the Framework your control was
    written against. It will therefor always run against the latest version
    installed on your machine. In this case, 2.0.

    The channel 9 video details it:

    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=73151

    Might find some info here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnet
    dep/html/netfxcompat.asp

    Keith, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Keith,

    I haven't watched the video in a while, but they talk about 3 or 4 different
    cases:

    1. Asp.net and windows forms. Pretty standard stuff and you can configure
    which version of the framework you run against.

    2. Hosted CLR within SQL. I got the idea that Microsoft is reserving the
    right to say that your code will always run against the version of the
    framework that it was built against. Build it against 2.0 and only have 3.0
    installed on your machine (at some later date), your code will not run?

    3. I believe they talked specifically about the case of controls running
    within IE (or another hosted app) and how your controls will always run
    against the latest version of the framework that is installed on your
    machine. I believe you are in this category. You cannot configure the
    version that you run against and will get 2.0 assuming you have installed
    the 2.0 version of the dotnetfx.

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Andrew Robinson