Windows.open source code

Info_Junkie

On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
{
return true;
}

window.onerror = SymError;

var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
{
return (new Object());
}

window.open = SymWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have. Does it
control the opening of new windows when a user clicks on a newsgroup
message.

Thanks.

Info_Junkie

Richard Cornford

Info_Junkie said:
On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have.
<snip>

No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
arrive at your machine.

Richard.

Info_Junkie

Richard said:
<snip>

No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
arrive at your machine.

Richard.

Good to know. Norton is working to keep me safe. Has so far. What is
the function of the code? Thanks for the info

Info_Junkie