Windows.open source code

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Info_Junkie, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Info_Junkie

    Info_Junkie Guest

    On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
    comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.

    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--

    function SymError()
    {
    return true;
    }

    window.onerror = SymError;

    var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

    function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
    {
    return (new Object());
    }

    window.open = SymWinOpen;

    //-->
    </script>

    Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have. Does it
    control the opening of new windows when a user clicks on a newsgroup
    message.

    Thanks.

    Info_Junkie
    Info_Junkie, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Info_Junkie wrote:
    > On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
    > comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > function SymError()

    <snip>
    > Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have.

    <snip>

    No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
    arrive at your machine.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Info_Junkie

    Info_Junkie Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > Info_Junkie wrote:
    > > On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
    > > comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.
    > >
    > > <script language="JavaScript">
    > > <!--
    > >
    > > function SymError()

    > <snip>
    > > Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have.

    > <snip>
    >
    > No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
    > arrive at your machine.
    >
    > Richard.

    Good to know. Norton is working to keep me safe. Has so far. What is
    the function of the code? Thanks for the info

    Info_Junkie
    Info_Junkie, Sep 21, 2006