Windows PDA applications or ASP.NET web PDA applications??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Anil, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Anil

    Anil Guest

    Hi Folks :)

    I need a suggestion from you guys.

    We are planning to develop windows mobile device applications which can be
    loaded into Intermac PDA.
    These PDA's will be used in various locations of the company.
    These locations span around 300 miles range from corporate location
    All locations are connected through wireless network.

    Application functionality will be on spot employee work hours tracking, on
    spot products receipts/shipments tracking etc.

    At the end of the day all locations will upload/synchronise the data to
    corporate location.

    Database will be SQL 2000, SQL CE

    I have less knowledge on PDA's

    Scenario 1
    Develop windows mobile application and load in each PDA given to
    various locations.
    At the end of the day all locations will upload/synchronise the data
    to corporate location.

    I am thinking this scenario will give best performance for end user
    point of view.
    because whole application is loaded into that PDA itself.

    I am seeing application maintainence will bedisadvantage with this

    Scenario 2
    Develop asp.net mobile web application and load in main corporate
    server .
    So every location will access the same site over PDA.

    I am thinking this scenario is best for application maintainence and for
    corporate management.(they can see up to minute data).

    As web application needs to continuous internet connectivity and all
    users are accessing the same server performance may go down.
    Am I right?

    Finally we want best performance of the Application.
    so Which Scenario you guys suggest ?
    Is it scenario1 or scenario2 ??

    Anil, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Hi Anil,

    The main advantage of building Windows CE applications for a
    PocketPC is that your client application will continue working even
    if the employee is offsite or offline. They can cope with occassionally
    connected environments.

    The ASP.NET application will only function if you are always connected
    to the corporate network.

    If the employees will always be connected to the network when using
    the PDA, then ASP.NET Mobile is a simpler solution. The application
    will have a web front end and will bind directly to your SQL Server.

    If you can't guarantee the connectivity then writing a WinCE app is
    the way to go. Keep in mind that synchronizing data between SQL
    CE and SQL Server 2000 is not trivial. I wrote an article about it
    on Builder.com:

    http://builder.com.com/5100-6373-5167300.html?tag=search

    Web services might be a better solution. Depends on the complexity
    of your data structures, your network architecture, ect.

    Good luck!

    Thanks,
    Jean-Luc David
    Microsoft .NET MVP