Windows PDA applications or ASP.NET web PDA applications??

Anil

Hi Folks :)

I need a suggestion from you guys.

We are planning to develop windows mobile device applications which can be
loaded into Intermac PDA.
These PDA's will be used in various locations of the company.
These locations span around 300 miles range from corporate location
All locations are connected through wireless network.

Application functionality will be on spot employee work hours tracking, on
spot products receipts/shipments tracking etc.

At the end of the day all locations will upload/synchronise the data to
corporate location.

Database will be SQL 2000, SQL CE

I have less knowledge on PDA's

Scenario 1
Develop windows mobile application and load in each PDA given to
various locations.
At the end of the day all locations will upload/synchronise the data
to corporate location.

I am thinking this scenario will give best performance for end user
point of view.
because whole application is loaded into that PDA itself.

I am seeing application maintainence will bedisadvantage with this

Scenario 2
Develop asp.net mobile web application and load in main corporate
server .
So every location will access the same site over PDA.

I am thinking this scenario is best for application maintainence and for
corporate management.(they can see up to minute data).

As web application needs to continuous internet connectivity and all
users are accessing the same server performance may go down.
Am I right?

Finally we want best performance of the Application.
so Which Scenario you guys suggest ?
Is it scenario1 or scenario2 ??

Jean-Luc David [MS-MVP]

Hi Anil,

The main advantage of building Windows CE applications for a
PocketPC is that your client application will continue working even
if the employee is offsite or offline. They can cope with occassionally
connected environments.

The ASP.NET application will only function if you are always connected
to the corporate network.

If the employees will always be connected to the network when using
the PDA, then ASP.NET Mobile is a simpler solution. The application
will have a web front end and will bind directly to your SQL Server.

If you can't guarantee the connectivity then writing a WinCE app is
the way to go. Keep in mind that synchronizing data between SQL
CE and SQL Server 2000 is not trivial. I wrote an article about it
on Builder.com:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6373-5167300.html?tag=search

Web services might be a better solution. Depends on the complexity
of your data structures, your network architecture, ect.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Jean-Luc David
Microsoft .NET MVP