Windows Ruby Version Check

James Edward Gray II

Can a Windows Ruby user please confirm that the "Ruby 1.9.1-p129
Binary" link under "Ruby on Windows" on this page:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

actually downloads version 1.9.1? I'm investigating a bug report that
claimed it downloaded version 1.8.7 and I don't have a Windows machine
to install it on and confirm. The files do look like 1.9 to me though.

Thanks for the help.

James Edward Gray II

Glen Holcomb

Can a Windows Ruby user please confirm that the "Ruby 1.9.1-p129 Binary"
link under "Ruby on Windows" on this page:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

actually downloads version 1.9.1? I'm investigating a bug report that
claimed it downloaded version 1.8.7 and I don't have a Windows machine to
install it on and confirm. The files do look like 1.9 to me though.

Thanks for the help.

James Edward Gray II
I just downloaded it in my parallels VM:

ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p129 ...

--=20
so loud, I can=92t hear a word you=92re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

pharrington

Can a Windows Ruby user please confirm that the "Ruby 1.9.1-p129
Binary" link under "Ruby on Windows" on this page:

   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

actually downloads version 1.9.1?  I'm investigating a bug report that
claimed it downloaded version 1.8.7 and I don't have a Windows machine
to install it on and confirm.  The files do look like 1.9 to me though.

Thanks for the help.

James Edward Gray II

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Paul>c:\ruby-1.9.1-p129/bin/ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p129 (2009-05-12 revision 23412) [i386-mswin32]

C:\Users\Paul>c:\ruby-1.9.1-p129/bin/irb
irb(main):001:0> RUBY_VERSION
=> "1.9.1"
irb(main):002:0> exit

Aaron Patterson

Can a Windows Ruby user please confirm that the "Ruby 1.9.1-p129
Binary" link under "Ruby on Windows" on this page:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

actually downloads version 1.9.1? I'm investigating a bug report
that claimed it downloaded version 1.8.7 and I don't have a Windows
machine to install it on and confirm. The files do look like 1.9 to
me though.

Time to log in! Hrm, what's this?

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1q9/microsoft-windows-xp

OK, figured out how to log in. I had to press the "fn"-Option key.
So, actually you have to press Control-Fn-Option-Delete. Only 4 keys
at the same time. That's not unreasonable, right?

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1x8/microsoft-windows-xp

Finally made it through the popup jungle. Now it's time to explore
some internet. So I'll open internet explorer:

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1xs/microsoft-windows-xp

Alright. *Now* let's get down to business. I'm going to Google "Ruby
download" with bing:

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1x9/microsoft-windows-xp

Okay, I've Bung "ruby download". Which link do I want? I'm not
sure....

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1tf/microsoft-windows-xp

After a brief side track downloading Pokenmon Ruby, I finally made it
to the ruby downloads page. Time to download this sucker

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1ti/microsoft-windows-xp

Now I have to figure out how to unzip the archive. I currently have
Salt n' Peppa stuck in my head. "Zip it real good!"

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn13r/microsoft-windows-xp

So I clicked "Extract". Now why "extract" means "copy":

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn13i/microsoft-windows-xp

Okay. Apparently it doesn't make the directory for me?

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn15b/microsoft-windows-xp

Okay. I clicked many many times and made a new folder. It's time to
open up the command prompt and get to the ruby 1.9 directory.

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1hy/microsoft-windows-xp

After getting over my 1990's flashback, I clumsily made it to the
ruby_1.9 directory. After trying a couple times, I was able to get
the binary to run!

http://skitch.com/aaron.patterson/nn1h9/microsoft-windows-xp

Please note: this experience was more painful than I described.

tl;dr: WFM

God help people installing JRuby on windows. I think it would take me
many days

Luis Lavena

Can a Windows Ruby user please confirm that the "Ruby 1.9.1-p129
Binary" link under "Ruby on Windows" on this page:

   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

actually downloads version 1.9.1?  I'm investigating a bug report that
claimed it downloaded version 1.8.7 and I don't have a Windows machine
to install it on and confirm.  The files do look like 1.9 to me though.

Thanks for the help.

This link:

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.9.1-p129-i386-mswin32.zip

Downloads a 13.5MB file.

After extraction, on a command prompt:

C:\Users\Luis\Downloads>ruby_1_9\bin\ruby.exe -v
ruby 1.9.1p129 (2009-05-12 revision 23412) [i386-mswin32]

Seems OK to me.

Perhaps they have 1.8.7 in the PATH, so is going to interfere. They
should check where that particular Ruby installed:

C:\Users\Luis\Downloads>ruby_1_9\bin\ruby.exe -v -rrbconfig -e "puts
RbConfig::CONFIG['bindir']"
ruby 1.9.1p129 (2009-05-12 revision 23412) [i386-mswin32]
C:/Users/Luis/Downloads/ruby_1_9/bin

Regards,

Charles Oliver Nutter

God help people installing JRuby on windows. =C2=A0I think it would take = me many
days

There are two steps to installing JRuby on Windows:

* Install JVM (if it hasn't been installed already)
* Unpack JRuby

Done.

With JRuby 1.4, there's even an installer that can do those two steps
in one shot, plus tweak your PATH. And JRuby 1.4 will have a native
jruby.exe as well.

It is vastly simpler to install JRuby than you might expect :)

- Charlie

Aaron Patterson

Charles said:
There are two steps to installing JRuby on Windows:

* Install JVM (if it hasn't been installed already)
* Unpack JRuby

Done.

You don't have to set up your environment to point at the JVM? How hard
is it to find, download, and install the JVM? How about the same steps
for JRuby?

I only had to "unpack MRI" to install it, and somehow it took way more
than 1 step.
With JRuby 1.4, there's even an installer that can do those two steps
in one shot, plus tweak your PATH. And JRuby 1.4 will have a native
jruby.exe as well.

Tweaking your PATH isn't a step? I'm confused again...

I installed JRuby 1.4 that included the JRE. It was exactly 1 step less
than installing MRI on windows. But the limit of (n - 1) as n
approaches infinity is still infinite. Believe me, I felt like I was
approaching infinity.

I would reproduce my last email with JRuby, but this was a dig on
windows, not JRuby. Next time I'll more clearly indicate that I'm
trying to be funny. I'll also say "MacRuby" instead of "JRuby". ;-)
It is vastly simpler to install JRuby than you might expect :)

Nothing on windows is simpler than I might expect. Except getting
viruses. That was super easy. Also getting little popups in the lower
right. I'm *super good* at getting those little popups. I don't even
have to click!

Charles Oliver Nutter

You don't have to set up your environment to point at the JVM? =C2=A0How = hard
is it to find, download, and install the JVM? =C2=A0How about the same st= eps
for JRuby?

Of course we're talking past your point now (my fault, I didn't get
the joke), but you mention below the JRuby+JRE installer. So the above
steps would be reduced to two: download JRuby+JRE installer from
jruby.com; run it.
I only had to "unpack MRI" to install it, and somehow it took way more
than 1 step.

Yeah, I didn't get that it was a shot against Windows...I should have
looked at all the screenshots :)
Tweaking your PATH isn't a step? =C2=A0I'm confused again...

It's an optional step we leave to up to users on *nixes because they
all have their own preferences (future installers may do PATH juggling
for *nix users too). On Windows, we just set it, since more people
there get confused if we don't (and it's a pretty gross process to
alter it.)
I installed JRuby 1.4 that included the JRE. =C2=A0It was exactly 1 step = less
than installing MRI on windows. =C2=A0But the limit of (n - 1) as n
approaches infinity is still infinite. =C2=A0Believe me, I felt like I wa= s
approaching infinity.

No doubt...we spend a *lot* of time trying to support Windows, which
is why we have an installer and a native jruby.exe for the 1.4
release. Windows is just so painful to cope with. I understand why
ruby core doesn't have enough resources to keep it working well and
build things like installers for it.
I would reproduce my last email with JRuby, but this was a dig on
windows, not JRuby. =C2=A0Next time I'll more clearly indicate that I'm
trying to be funny. =C2=A0I'll also say "MacRuby" instead of "JRuby". =C2=
=A0;-)

Yeah, I get that, but the connotation I read (me being overly
sensitive to such things, to be sure) was that it would be even
*worse* trying to install JRuby for no clear reason. It's not, and so
I often feel the need to address unintentional FUD.

But I withdraw, at any rate, since we're pretty far off from your
actual point now :)

- Charlie