Ruby Installation

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Mac, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. Tom Mac

    Tom Mac Guest

    Hi
    I have installed ruby from fedora repository (fedora12) with

    yum install ruby ruby-devel ruby-docs ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-mode
    ruby-rdoc ruby-ri

    And I got ruby --version

    This I did 2 months back . Now I am asked to repeat this process on
    another machine. So my question is where can I find the same above
    version with same patch . I looked in
    www.ruby-lang.org It says about 1.8.7 and 1.9.1

    My second question is if I install 1.8.7 from source on the next
    machine, will the application work? So what is the preferred way
    Installing ruby from source or from a repository like fedora in my case?

    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Mac, Feb 22, 2010

  2. Tom Mac wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have installed ruby from fedora repository (fedora12) with
    >
    > yum install ruby ruby-devel ruby-docs ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-mode
    > ruby-rdoc ruby-ri
    >
    > And I got ruby --version
    > ruby 1.8.6 (2009-08-04 patchlevel 383) [i386-linux]
    >
    > This I did 2 months back . Now I am asked to repeat this process on
    > another machine. So my question is where can I find the same above
    > version with same patch . I looked in
    > www.ruby-lang.org It says about 1.8.7 and 1.9.1

    ftp.ruby-lang.org has all the previous version releases.

    > My second question is if I install 1.8.7 from source on the next
    > machine, will the application work?

    Probably. There are a number of changes in the ruby language for 1.8.7,
    such that a program written for 1.8.7 may well not work in 1.8.6, but
    one written for 1.8.6 probably works in 1.8.7.

    > So what is the preferred way
    > Installing ruby from source or from a repository like fedora in my case?

    If your distribution has a decent ruby repo, usually it's a good idea to
    use that. Your distribution should be keeping track of things like
    security updates and you will automatically get a fixed version if you
    need it. It also saves hassles in compilation (e.g. if you don't have
    the openssl-dev or zlib-dev packages installed when building yourself,
    then important ruby extensions won't be built)

    HTH,

    Brian.

    Brian Candler, Feb 22, 2010