Working with ASP.Net 2.0 Sub-Applications

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by daokfella, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. daokfella

    daokfella Guest

    I have a web application called DashBoard that implements form-based
    authentication. I also have two other web applications called Website1
    and Website2. When deployed, Website1 and Website2 are configured as
    sub-applications of Dashboard in IIS. Basically, the architecture is
    designed for a single sign-on (in Dashboard) to be used with both sub-
    applications. Everything is great when deployed...the auth ticket is
    shared amongst all three and security works as expected. In the config
    for Website1 and Website, I have to set the LoginUrl to "../
    Login.aspx" which is the login page of the Dashboard when deployed.

    Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time trying to set up a solution
    where I can manage and debug this application in the way it is
    deployed. Right now, I have one solution with all 3 websites as
    projects. I can't really debug Website1 or 2 because they have no idea
    where the login.aspx file is. I really need to keep each website as a
    separate project just for managing purposes since each website really
    is it's own entity. I know I could just have a large website project
    with each separate website inside of it's own sub-folder. The problem
    is that there are actually many more than just 2, and each one is
    managed by a separate group of folks. We'd like to be able to open
    each website individually in separate solution files along with the
    Dashboard project.

    Does anybody have any insight on how the basic solution could be setup
    to accommodate me? Right now, I've configured the applications/sub-
    applications in IIS and I just deploy each application there. Instead
    of debugging the app using F5, I've been navigating my browser to
    http://localhost/.. But, it gets annoying after a while to keep
    copying files to IIS after I make a change.

    In IIS:
    |_ Dashboard (app)
    |_ WebSite1 (sub-app)
    |_ WebSite2 (sub-app)

    But 3 separate projects: Dashboard.vbproj, WebSite1.vbproj,
    WebSite2.vbproj

    daokfella, Feb 27, 2008