Visual Studo 2005/Visual Source Safe 6.0 Weird behavior.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by clintonb, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. clintonb

    clintonb Guest

    Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
    and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.

    Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.

    It created the solution file:
    C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
    2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln

    I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
    files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
    clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
    WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
    c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.

    Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
    Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
    6.0.

    Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.

    Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
    c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.

    Everything is OK so far.

    But when I opened up the solution file
    c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln , it created
    another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
    c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1

    Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
    Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
    problems when making Windows applications.

    Thanks.

    clintonb, Jun 28, 2006

  2. clintonb

    clintonb Guest

    clintonb wrote:
    > Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
    > and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.
    >
    > Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.
    >
    > It created the solution file:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
    > 2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln
    >
    > I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
    > files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
    > clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
    > WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.
    >
    > Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
    > Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
    > 6.0.
    >
    > Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.
    >
    > Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.
    >
    > Everything is OK so far.
    >
    > But when I opened up the solution file
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln , it created
    > another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1
    >
    > Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
    > Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
    > problems when making Windows applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wanted to mention that I tried installing Visual Source Safe 2005 and
    I get the same behavior.

    - Clint

    clintonb, Jun 28, 2006

  3. clintonb

    clintonb Guest

    clintonb wrote:
    > Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
    > and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.
    >
    > Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.
    >
    > It created the solution file:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
    > 2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln
    >
    > I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
    > files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
    > clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
    > WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.
    >
    > Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
    > Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
    > 6.0.
    >
    > Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.
    >
    > Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.
    >
    > Everything is OK so far.
    >
    > But when I opened up the solution file
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln , it created
    > another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
    > c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1
    >
    > Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
    > Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
    > problems when making Windows applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It seems the solution to the problem is to put the solution file in a
    folder above the project folder like so:

    Top Folder
    website1.sln
    Project Folder
    details.aspx