    would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?

    From what I am seeing on the job boards etc., I would have to say no.
    It looks to me as though I could possibly do that with perl, but not
    python.

    Of course, I could be missing something. Job board ads can be
    deceptive.
    walterbyrd, Aug 25, 2009

  2. walterbyrd

    Esmail Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > If I took the time to really learn to use python for sysadmin work,
    > would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?

    FWIW, I think one of the qualities of a good system admin would be the ability
    to work with a variety of tools and languages and not focus on one particular
    language. Though Perl (not a favorite of mine at all :) seems to be quite
    popular for admin type work, and of course knowing some sort of shell
    programming etc would come in handy.
    Esmail, Aug 25, 2009

  3. walterbyrd

    Brent Bloxam Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > If I took the time to really learn to use python for sysadmin work,
    > would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?
    >
    >>From what I am seeing on the job boards etc., I would have to say no.

    > It looks to me as though I could possibly do that with perl, but not
    > python.
    >
    > Of course, I could be missing something. Job board ads can be
    > deceptive.

    Being a system admin is about being able to handle to many different
    situations, and your tasks can often include automating various things
    and writing tools. Depending on the sort of place you're working in and
    the size of the IT department, you could find yourself doing a lot of
    work that lies outside of the standard job description for a system
    administrator. If you're looking to start out in the field, it would be
    better to have general knowledge, and as you gain experience you can
    begin to specialize.

    Being adaptable is key, so specializing in python probably won't gain
    you any ground as a system administrator. That being said, knowing
    python will mean you have another tool in your chest, which is
    definitely a good thing. If there's one thing I'd recommend, if you're
    not going to focus on a windows environment, would be to at least get
    perl under your belt as well.
    Brent Bloxam, Aug 25, 2009