Would there be work for a sysadmin who specializes in python?

walterbyrd

If I took the time to really learn to use python for sysadmin work,
would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?

From what I am seeing on the job boards etc., I would have to say no.
It looks to me as though I could possibly do that with perl, but not
python.

Of course, I could be missing something. Job board ads can be
deceptive.

Esmail

walterbyrd said:
If I took the time to really learn to use python for sysadmin work,
would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?

FWIW, I think one of the qualities of a good system admin would be the ability
to work with a variety of tools and languages and not focus on one particular
language. Though Perl (not a favorite of mine at all :) seems to be quite
popular for admin type work, and of course knowing some sort of shell
programming etc would come in handy.

Brent Bloxam

walterbyrd said:
If I took the time to really learn to use python for sysadmin work,
would I be able to find jobs, or even contract jobs?

It looks to me as though I could possibly do that with perl, but not
python.

Of course, I could be missing something. Job board ads can be
deceptive.

Being a system admin is about being able to handle to many different
situations, and your tasks can often include automating various things
and writing tools. Depending on the sort of place you're working in and
the size of the IT department, you could find yourself doing a lot of
work that lies outside of the standard job description for a system
administrator. If you're looking to start out in the field, it would be
better to have general knowledge, and as you gain experience you can
begin to specialize.

Being adaptable is key, so specializing in python probably won't gain
you any ground as a system administrator. That being said, knowing
python will mean you have another tool in your chest, which is
definitely a good thing. If there's one thing I'd recommend, if you're
not going to focus on a windows environment, would be to at least get
perl under your belt as well.