WPF Question

Nick Large

Hello Microsoft Newsgroup.

I am not sure really where to ask this question, so please let me know if it
goes somewhere else and you know where - I'll be sure to repost.

Quick question - Do I really have to install Silverlight in order to use
WPF?

The problem is this. I would like to create WPF browser applications for
the company. From what I understand, if I build a gridview on a page using
WPF, and plaster each row with columns containing objects like drop-downs,
check boxes and the such, WPF does not instantiate the millions of
properties in each object in each of the 120,000 or so (example) rows, it
just "Presents" the objects but doesn't load all the properties, just the
ones it uses. This makes it quicker, correct?

OK, so maybe thats another related question, but my main question is, that
the users in the field have skeletal permissions, meaning that they most
likely will not be able to install Silverlight on their machines. Granted,
IE8 has Silverlight installed inside it, but what happens when there is an
upgrade to silverlight? The users will not be able to install and we will
be broke.

Could anyone help shed some light on these questions. They are pretty
generic questions, I know, but I wanted to portray the position I am in, in
order to get my question accross.

Thanks in advance,
Nick.