write jsp form so user can control number of fields

ghadley_00

Hi,

I currently have an html form with which I gather the same information
for 5 items, and then post all the data for processing to a jsp file. I
would like to make a form (using jsp or php) that allows the user to
choose how many items they would like to compare (1 through 5) , and
then have the form change to list the appropriate set(s) of form entry
fields, with each field's variable appropriately named uniquely (e.g.
at present I have Color1, Color2, Color3, Color4, Color5 all as
variables submitted via my form, I would like this naming convention to
continue).

In other words, if the user chooses to only compare 3 items, I would
like for only 3 sets of entry fields to be presented, for each of which
the field names would be fieldname1, fieldname2, fieldname3.

To accomodate the java class file I am sending the data to for
processing, I would also like the code to pass zero values for the
fields not chosen. In other words, if only 3 items are chosen, the
values that would have been submitted for items 4 and 5 are submitted
as zeros.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreicated. A
solutionin either jsp or php would be fine.

Best wishes,

George Hadley
(e-mail address removed)

Aj-India

you could use a script function to get the number of fields from the
user. Then you can use innerHTML to generate those fields.

Aray

Hi,

I currently have an html form with which I gather the same information
for 5 items, and then post all the data for processing to a jsp file. I
would like to make a form (using jsp or php) that allows the user to
choose how many items they would like to compare (1 through 5) , and
then have the form change to list the appropriate set(s) of form entry
fields, with each field's variable appropriately named uniquely (e.g.
at present I have Color1, Color2, Color3, Color4, Color5 all as
variables submitted via my form, I would like this naming convention to
continue).

In other words, if the user chooses to only compare 3 items, I would
like for only 3 sets of entry fields to be presented, for each of which
the field names would be fieldname1, fieldname2, fieldname3.

You don't have to name these fileds different. use the same name, for
example, "myFieldName".
if you set the form method to get, the url sames like this:
http://www.aray.com/xxx.jsp?myFieldName=color1&myFieldName=color2&myFieldName=color3

In jsp file, you may use
String fieldValues[] request.getParameterValues("myFieldName");
to get these fields. and String array fieldValues's value are bellow.
fieldValues[0] == "color1";
fieldValues[1] == "color2";
fieldValues[2] == "color3";

To accomodate the java class file I am sending the data to for
processing, I would also like the code to pass zero values for the
fields not chosen. In other words, if only 3 items are chosen, the
values that would have been submitted for items 4 and 5 are submitted
as zeros.

allocate a new String array, and copy fieldValues's values to this array.

String newFieldValues[] = new String[5];
int i;
for(i=0; i<fieldValues.length() && i<newFieldValues.length(); i++)
newFieldValues=fieldValues;
for(;i<newFieldValues.length(); i++)
newFieldValues="0";