Writing a destructive trojan with C++...

Mad Programmer

I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

Clark S. Cox III

I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before
the target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

Well, this program might do it:

void main()

Alf P. Steinbach

* Mad Programmer:
I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

Ask your teacher.

The question is off-topic in this group.

Wolfgang Draxinger

Mad said:
I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know
how I can destroy the target's monitor

The program could hack into the electricity suppliers net and
give overvoltage to it. I see no other way to actually destroy
hardware. Ok it's possible to "brick" a BIOS Flash i.e.
overwriting it with garbage. But that is reversible with a
flasher.
and format the target's
harddisk before the target can stop the program.

Hehe, nice try. If you format the harddisk on a *nix your
programm will probably immediately stop after the first bytes of
the FS have been nulled. However these can be revovered.

Really: Writing a destructive programm doesn't show skill but
immaturenes. Writing a virus for educational purposes can be
interesting, as it requires fiddling around on a low level. OTOH
on a sanely designed system you will hardly find executables you
can overwrite without root permission. And if $HOME is on a
parition mounted with the "noexec", option then it's almost
impossible to get malcode permanently on the system.

Unfortunately the widely used Windows OS is insecure by design.
Almost every of the "bad design points" described in
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/
apply to Windows.

Wolfgang Draxinger

Kai-Uwe Bux

Mad said:
I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

Monitors and harddisks are platform specific. In order to obtain useful and
competent answers, you should ask this question in a forum dedicated to the
computers you are trying to destroy.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

John Harrison

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
Mad Programmer wrote:

Monitors and harddisks are platform specific. In order to obtain useful and
competent answers, you should ask this question in a forum dedicated to the
computers you are trying to destroy.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Hilarious!

john

Zara

Mad said:
I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?
Is it a troll? An imp?

Nah, it must be a joker! (Batman style, of course)

Salil

if u are serious about this then u can try to mess with some Rom-Bios
Interrupts.. you might come across something useful..

Mogens Heller Jensen

Mad Programmer said:
I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

It's easy:
getMonitor()->destroy();
getHarddisk()->format();

Did you even look at your documentation at all? RTFM please :eek:)

-m

Jon Slaughter

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
Monitors and harddisks are platform specific. In order to obtain useful
and
competent answers, you should ask this question in a forum dedicated to
the
computers you are trying to destroy.

Naw, I think the newsgroup he belongs in is "alt.I.am.a.dumbass.troll" ;)
Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Jon

Jon Slaughter

Mogens Heller Jensen said:
It's easy:
getMonitor()->destroy();
getHarddisk()->format();

Did you even look at your documentation at all? RTFM please :eek:)

-m

DX9.0b has made the first obsolete. The have been replaced with more
efficient functions
g_pD3D->InitializeMonitorDestruction(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dparameters,
RFGUID rguid);you can do some cool stuff like have the monitor fade out very
slowly over a predetermined amount of time or even present a BSOD then when
the computer is reset the monitor explodes. You'll have to consult the
documentation for all the things it can do cause to many to list here.

Mogens Heller Jensen

Jon Slaughter said:
DX9.0b has made the first obsolete. The have been replaced with more
efficient functions
g_pD3D->InitializeMonitorDestruction(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dparameters,
RFGUID rguid);you can do some cool stuff like have the monitor fade out
very slowly over a predetermined amount of time or even present a BSOD
then when the computer is reset the monitor explodes. You'll have to
consult the documentation for all the things it can do cause to many to
list here.

Wow, that's so cool! But it would be even cooler if there existed some kind
of framework for this kind of thing.

Oh, how I want a platform-independent way of presenting a BSOD!

Does it come with hardware-acceleration?

-M

Howard

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
Monitors and harddisks are platform specific. In order to obtain useful
and
competent answers, you should ask this question in a forum dedicated to
the
computers you are trying to destroy.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

:-D Best response I ever read! Thanks!

-Howard

Rui Maciel

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
Monitors and harddisks are platform specific. In order to obtain useful
and competent answers, you should ask this question in a forum dedicated
to the computers you are trying to destroy.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

LOL

Great stuff :D Thanks for making me laught

Rui Maciel

I'm writing a destructive trojan with C++ and I need to know how I can
destroy the target's monitor and format the target's harddisk before the
target can stop the program.

What do I need to do?

If you are successful in finding a way to destroy the target's
monitor, I think you should call it "sledgehammer".

Jim Langston

M said:
If you are successful in finding a way to destroy the target's
monitor, I think you should call it "sledgehammer".

Actually, way back when it was possible to destroy (break) hercules monitors
by quickly switching resolutions.