    www.sheldonlg.com/test.html

    In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    Shelly, Dec 6, 2007

  2. Shelly

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Chaddy2222, Dec 6, 2007

  3. Shelly wrote:
    > Here is the URL:
    > www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >
    > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    > is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    Okay Shelly, you have ask plethora of questions here, but when I look at
    your markup and stylesheet it is very obvious that you are not doing
    your homework. Web design is not pasta, "throw it against the wall and
    see if it sticks" is not method that will be fruitful. Why am I ragging
    on you know? Well when I see things like:

    * No doctype, If you in quirks mode all bets or off for browser
    presentation consistency

    * "position: middle;" ??? You made that up didn't you...

    * trying to use CSS yet peppering your markup with HTML presentational
    attributes

    * not validating your markup first, before trying to hunt down bugs...

    * lastly you don't need to surround your style elements in html
    comments. No one is using a browser that old.

    Do you self a favor and learn a little basics first, do the tutorials at
    www.htmldog.com, go to the library and borrow a book, lurk in the NG and
    you will find plenty of your answers. Also design in Opera or Firefox
    not IE. Only tweak afterward to get IE on board (if tweaking is required)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 11:27 pm, "Shelly" <> wrote:
    >> Here is the URL:www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >>
    >> In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item.
    >> In FF it is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    > http://validator.w3.org/check
    > Fix the errors and your problem should be easier to find.

    They are fixed. It still shows the problem in Firefox.

    Shelly, Dec 6, 2007
  5. Shelly wrote:

    > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    >> On Dec 6, 11:27 pm, "Shelly" <> wrote:
    >>> Here is the URL:www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >>>
    >>> In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item.
    >>> In FF it is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    >> http://validator.w3.org/check
    >> Fix the errors and your problem should be easier to find.

    > They are fixed. It still shows the problem in Firefox.

    Not all of them.
    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheldonlg.com%2Ftest.html>

    Why are you using Transitional? New pages should be Strict.

    Read this about font choices and sizing:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    I see no dropdown menu. Neither will any of the ~10% who have JavaScript
    disabled, or stripped by their corporate firewalls. This is like turning
    off your web server for a month every year.

    Whatever you used to generate all that CSS, toss it aside and start
    fresh.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 6, 2007
  6. Shelly

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 7, 1:20 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Shelly wrote:
    > > Here is the URL:
    > >www.sheldonlg.com/test.html

    > > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    > > is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    > Okay Shelly, you have ask plethora of questions here, but when I look at
    > your markup and stylesheet it is very obvious that you are not doing
    > your homework. Web design is not pasta, "throw it against the wall and
    > see if it sticks" is not method that will be fruitful. Why am I ragging
    > on you know? Well when I see things like:
    >
    > * No doctype, If you in quirks mode all bets or off for browser
    > presentation consistency
    >
    > * "position: middle;" ??? You made that up didn't you...
    >
    > * trying to use CSS yet peppering your markup with HTML presentational
    > attributes
    >
    > * not validating your markup first, before trying to hunt down bugs...
    >
    > * lastly you don't need to surround your style elements in html
    > comments. No one is using a browser that old.
    >
    > Do you self a favor and learn a little basics first, do the tutorials atwww.htmldog.com, go to the library and borrow a book, lurk in the NG and
    > you will find plenty of your answers. Also design in Opera or Firefox
    > not IE. Only tweak afterward to get IE on board (if tweaking is required)

    I agree with what you say including the testing in Opera and FF first,
    it's so much easier as well as you don't need to worry as much.
    A note to the Op, look at: http://www.quirksmode.org

    Chaddy2222, Dec 6, 2007
  7. Shelly

    Bergamot Guest

    Shelly wrote:

    > www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >
    > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    > is all the way to the left.

    That is some nasty markup - an unpleasant mix of stylesheets, layout
    tables, inline styles and HTML presentational attributes. You'll have a
    terrible time working with this mess of code. Start over, please.

    > Any clues?

    Take Mr Little's advice, and do some learning before hacking away at
    this any more. The alternative is to hire a competent coder to implement
    your design for you.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 6, 2007
  8. Chaddy2222 wrote:

    > I agree with what you say including the testing in Opera and FF first,
    > it's so much easier as well as you don't need to worry as much.
    > A note to the Op, look at: http://www.quirksmode.org

    I agree, www.quirksmode.org is a very good resource and you will learn
    what a devil quirks mode can be and why it is best to avoid it.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 6, 2007
  9. Shelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-12-06, Shelly <> wrote:
    > Here is the URL:
    > www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >
    > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    > is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    It may be because FF doesn't seem to like making <td>s (or boxes that
    are display: table-cell, more precisely) containing blocks for
    positioned descendents.

    Look at this example:

    http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/td-container.html

    Konqueror and Opera make the table the containing block for the
    positioned box. Firefox refuses even the table and makes the div above
    it the containing block.

    They're all wrong as far as I can tell from CSS 2.1 10.1. What does IE
    do?

    You may be able to fix your page by inserting another div to be a
    containing block for the positioned menu:

    <a id="menu1-1-0" class="item2" href="#">MissioN Statement</a>
    <a id="menu1-1-1" class="item2" href="#">Partners</a>
    <a id="menu1-1-2" class="item2" href="#">Industries</a>

    Ben C, Dec 7, 2007
  10. Shelly

    Mark Guest

    Ben C wrote:
    > On 2007-12-06, Shelly <> wrote:
    >> Here is the URL:
    >> www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >>
    >> In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    >> is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    > It may be because FF doesn't seem to like making <td>s (or boxes that
    > are display: table-cell, more precisely) containing blocks for
    > positioned descendents.
    >
    > Look at this example:
    >
    > http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/td-container.html
    >
    > Konqueror and Opera make the table the containing block for the
    > positioned box. Firefox refuses even the table and makes the div above
    > it the containing block.
    >
    > They're all wrong as far as I can tell from CSS 2.1 10.1. What does IE
    > do?

    IE6 and IE7 position foo in the right-hand <td>.

    Mark, Dec 7, 2007
  11. Shelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-12-07, Mark <> wrote:
    > Ben C wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-06, Shelly <> wrote:
    >>> Here is the URL:
    >>> www.sheldonlg.com/test.html
    >>>
    >>> In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    >>> is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    >> It may be because FF doesn't seem to like making <td>s (or boxes that
    >> are display: table-cell, more precisely) containing blocks for
    >> positioned descendents.
    >>
    >> Look at this example:
    >>
    >> http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/td-container.html
    >>
    >> Konqueror and Opera make the table the containing block for the
    >> positioned box. Firefox refuses even the table and makes the div above
    >> it the containing block.
    >>
    >> They're all wrong as far as I can tell from CSS 2.1 10.1. What does IE
    >> do?

    > IE6 and IE7 position foo in the right-hand <td>.

    Good for them. Thanks for checking. That seems to be something that
    works in IE but not in Firefox!

    Ben C, Dec 7, 2007
  12. Shelly

    GTalbot Guest

    On 7 déc, 06:16, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2007-12-06, Shelly <> wrote:
    >
    > > Here is the URL:
    > >www.sheldonlg.com/test.html

    > > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    > > is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    > It may be because FF doesn't seem to like making <td>s (or boxes that
    > are display: table-cell, more precisely) containing blocks for
    > positioned descendents.
    >
    > Look at this example:
    >
    > http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/td-container.html

    > You may be able to fix your page by inserting another div to be a
    > containing block for the positioned menu:

    Hello Ben,

    div, #two, table { position: relative }

    "The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-
    group, table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-
    column, table-cell, and table-caption elements is undefined."
    CSS 2.1, 9.3.1 Choosing a positioning scheme: 'position' property

    Positioning sub-table elements is formally and specifically
    discouraged in CSS 2.x specifications.

    Regards, Gérard
    --
    Internet Explorer 7 bugs: http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/

    GTalbot, Dec 8, 2007
  13. Shelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-12-08, GTalbot <> wrote:
    > On 7 déc, 06:16, Ben C <> wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-06, Shelly <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Here is the URL:
    >> >www.sheldonlg.com/test.html

    >> > In IE, the drop-down menu for "About Us" appears under the item. In FF it
    >> > is all the way to the left. Any clues?

    >> It may be because FF doesn't seem to like making <td>s (or boxes that
    >> are display: table-cell, more precisely) containing blocks for
    >> positioned descendents.
    >>
    >> Look at this example:
    >>
    >> http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/td-container.html

    >> You may be able to fix your page by inserting another div to be a
    >> containing block for the positioned menu:

    > Hello Ben,
    >
    > div, #two, table { position: relative }
    >
    > "The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-
    > group, table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-
    > column, table-cell, and table-caption elements is undefined."
    > CSS 2.1, 9.3.1 Choosing a positioning scheme: 'position' property
    >
    > Positioning sub-table elements is formally and specifically
    > discouraged in CSS 2.x specifications.

    Thanks for that, I didn't notice that part of the specification. That
    may explain what's happening on my test case in FF, Opera and
    Konqueror-- although in that case only FF is being consistent by
    effectively saying that position: relative doesn't apply to any of the
    table-* boxes rather than only to some of them.

    So I think on that test, all browsers are right, since it's undefined,
    they can do what they want.

    Ben C, Dec 8, 2007