WSDL Type Parser

Discussion in 'Java' started by Philipp Leitner, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    sorry in advance - I know that this is not quite the right group for
    such a question, but for lack of a better one I am trying my luck
    anyway ;-)

    I need to parse the type information contained in a standard WSDL file
    using Java, i.e. I want to have an in-memory representation of the
    types (type names and "structure", for complex types as well as simple
    types), which I can then use to compare to some input provided by a
    user.

    So far I have (with some success) used the fine parser that comes
    along with WSIF (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/adiehelp/
    index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wasee.doc/info/ee/javadoc/wsi/org/apache/wsif/
    schema/Parser.html), but it turns out that this parser only parses top-
    level types. A WSDL file containing element-local types like

    <xs:element name="sendOrderConfirmationResponse">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="return" nillable="true"
    type="xs:boolean" />
    </xs:sequence>
    </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

    (as produced by Axis2) will not by parsed completely. Unfortunately
    this restriction renders the utility more or less useless for document/
    wrapped ... I have already asked a similar question on the WSIF
    mailing list, but the whole project seems to be quite dead at the
    moment.

    Does anybody of you know of a good open-source WSDL or XSD parser
    which I could use to generate an in-memory representation of these
    types?

    many thanks in advance (and sorry for the slightly off-topic Web
    Services question),
    philipp
    Philipp Leitner, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Have a look at soapUI 1.7: http://www.soapui.org/
    If this tool can read your WSDL files, you can download the sources
    of this tool and see, how they do it.
    Manfred Rosenboom, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Philipp Leitner

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    Karl Uppiano, Apr 13, 2007
  4. Yes, I have been using WSDL4J for all other WSDL-specific tasks in my
    application, but dealing with types is rudimentary (better said, not
    available) with WSDL4J.

    I have also checked in the soapUI* source code, they are using
    XMLBeans combined with some rather ugly namespaces and XPath tricks.

    /philipp

    * nice application btw., didn't know that one yet.
    Philipp Leitner, Apr 13, 2007