wxPython installation interferes with win32ui/win32gui

robert

As soon as I install wxPython on a Py2.3.5, my win32ui / win32gui apps
freak out. buttons in dialogs are magically pressed. backgrounds of
dialogs are colored wrong...

this is with current wxPython (it was the same situation with a wx
version some months back)

When I uninstall wxPython the other win32ui/win32gui apps work again.
What could be the reason?

I made a full file comparison in the c:\Python23 tree: wx installed vs.
wx uninstalled. Besides the wx things in site-packages only ..

c:\Python23\pythonw.exe.manifest
c:\Python23python.exe.manifest

... and things in "c:\Python23\Scripts" are written/changed. nothing in
site-packages/pythonwin and site-packages/win32* is changed by the wx
installer. Or does the wx installer change something in the DLL's in
\windows or worse...?

-robert

robert

robert said:
c:\Python23\pythonw.exe.manifest
c:\Python23python.exe.manifest

I found out that in fact when I move away these 2 files to a backup
location after a wx installation, things go well again.

What at all do this .manifest files do ?
And why do win32ui apps freak out, when these are present?
Have post the content of pythonw.exe.manifest below.
Are wx apps affected in a bad way, if I remove those files for ever?

-robert

C:\python23\pythonw.exe.manifest
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
version="0.64.1.0"
processorArchitecture="x86"
name="Python"
type="win32"
/>
<description>Python Interpreter</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

Gabriel Genellina

I found out that in fact when I move away these 2 files to a backup
location after a wx installation, things go well again.

What at all do this .manifest files do ?
And why do win32ui apps freak out, when these are present?
Have post the content of pythonw.exe.manifest below.
Are wx apps affected in a bad way, if I remove those files for ever?

This manifest file tells Windows how to apply visual styles to the
application. It's a nightmare to make it work reliably across Windows
versions. Just delete the .manifeest file and forget about it...

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

robert

Gabriel said:
This manifest file tells Windows how to apply visual styles to the
application. It's a nightmare to make it work reliably across Windows
versions. Just delete the .manifeest file and forget about it...

Thanks, in fact in the wx Installer there is also an option to suppress
the installation of this files - but the name of this checkbox sounds so
harmless, that I'd never expect it to have such serious consequences.
Why is this checkbox ON in the installer by default when it is not
necessary for successful use of wx?

And I'd still like to understand the reason why win32ui apps at all can
do such strange things like magic automatic pressing of buttons, when
this .manifest is active. (This caused some serious trouble here the
first time, because this win32 tool did some real business transactions
as OK-buttons were pressed automatically repeatedly until I could
shutdown the app in the taskmanager..)

-robert