    will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Madhan
    Madhan, Jul 21, 2004

  2. (Madhan) writes:

    > All:
    > I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
    > my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
    > for both input and output.

    Hi,

    I have never done a thing like that, but I think mybe something like a
    wxHtmlWindow (see demo) can help. You can insert the smileys like png
    images.

    > This chat client runs both in win and linux platform. Any suggestion
    > will be greatly appreciated.

    Good luck!

    Zunbeltz

    --
    Zunbeltz Izaola Azkona | wmbizazz at lg dot ehu
    dotes
    Zunbeltz Izaola, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Madhan

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    Madhan wrote:

    >All:
    >I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
    >my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
    >for both input and output.

    If you want something more powerful and flexible than a wxTextCtrl, try
    looking at the wxStyledTextCtrl, which is a wxWidgets wrapper around the
    Scintilla control. This is the same component that, for example, the
    SciTe programmer's editor and the PythonWin IDE use. I've never needed
    to use it, myself, but I expect that it should be able to do just about
    anything you might want. (The only reservation I'd have about it is
    that it's possible that it's a bit more heavyweight than you'd want;
    it's hard to judge that without taking a close look, though.)

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International
    Jeff Shannon, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Madhan

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Jeff Shannon:

    > If you want something more powerful and flexible than a wxTextCtrl, try
    > looking at the wxStyledTextCtrl, which is a wxWidgets wrapper around the
    > Scintilla control.

    There is no reasonable way to get Scintilla to display smileys. It is a
    very serious widget :-(

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Madhan

    Madhan Guest

    Hi Zunbeltz,
    Thanks for the info, but I think wxHtmlWindow is a complete window
    component. I think I cannot use that as my text panel, because the
    methods of wxHtmlWindow do not support appending the text(IMessages),
    all it supports is loading a web page !!.
    So may be I have to look for some other component.

    I really appreciate your effort.

    If anybody have any other ideas, it will be great to know that.

    Thanks
    Maddy

    Madhan, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Madhan

    Madhan Guest

    Hi Neil Hodgson,
    I was just checking about the wxStyledTextCtrl and found the page. I
    then realized that the scintilla component is written by you. So I got
    to take your words :)
    but is there any other component that I can make use of.

    Thanks
    Maddy

    Madhan, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Madhan

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Madhan:

    > but is there any other component that I can make use of.

    Some, such as Tk's text widget allow you to include images.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Madhan

    Peter Maas Guest

    Neil Hodgson schrieb:
    > There is no reasonable way to get Scintilla to display smileys. It is a
    > very serious widget :-(

    What does your 'frowney' mean? Do you dislike the idea of displaying
    smileys or do you regret that Scintilla is a serious widget?

    But anyway, there is a way: open a Scite window, switch to Unicode
    and enter the Unicode character U+263A: This is a smiley: ☺

    :)

    Since Scite is Unicode enabled (thanks, Neil) I do nearly all my
    text editing in UTF-8.

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

    Peter Maas

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0
    Peter Maas, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Madhan

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Peter Maas:

    > Neil Hodgson schrieb:
    > > There is no reasonable way to get Scintilla to display smileys. It is

    > > very serious widget :-(

    > What does your 'frowney' mean? Do you dislike the idea of displaying
    > smileys or do you regret that Scintilla is a serious widget?

    It was more sympathy with the OP not being able to achieve their goal.

    > But anyway, there is a way: open a Scite window, switch to Unicode
    > and enter the Unicode character U+263A: This is a smiley: ?
    >
    > :)

    OK, it is available! I expect the OP wanted colourful smileys as are
    displayed in some mail applications.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Jul 28, 2004