XHTML 1.1, language and Bobby validator

Discussion in 'HTML' started by .:|:., Dec 22, 2005.

  1. .:|:.

    .:|:. Guest

    Hi!
    I'm trying to validate my page http://tinyurl.com/8ukw6
    with Bobby at http://webxact.watchfire.com/

    Validation for "W3C WCAG P3" fails because of /"Guideline
    4.3: Identify the language of the text."/
    Yet the head contains the tag

    The solution suggested at
    http://webxact2.watchfire.com/themes/standard-en-us/help/HIDD_WDContent_G125.html
    says
    /"...The HTML element at the beginning of each page should
    use the HTML 4.0 "lang" attribute..."/

    But that's not valid in xhtml 1.1!

    So, how do I make Bobby happy without going back to HTML 4.0?

    Thanks a lot!

    ..:|:.

    .:|:., Dec 22, 2005

  2. ..:|:. wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm trying to validate my page http://tinyurl.com/8ukw6
    > with Bobby at http://webxact.watchfire.com/
    >
    > The solution suggested at
    > http://webxact2.watchfire.com/themes/standard-en-us/help/HIDD_WDContent_G125.html
    > says
    > /"...The HTML element at the beginning of each page should
    > use the HTML 4.0 "lang" attribute..."/
    >
    > But that's not valid in xhtml 1.1!

    I'm not familiar with Bobby, but have you tried xml:lang?
    See also
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-i18n-html-tech-lang-20050224/#ri20040429.092928424

    Mitja Trampus, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Disco Octopus, Dec 22, 2005
  4. ".:|:." <@.> wrote:

    > I'm trying to validate my page http://tinyurl.com/8ukw6
    > with Bobby at http://webxact.watchfire.com/

    Bobby is not a validator. It is an overrated and mostly useless checker.

    > Validation for "W3C WCAG P3" fails because of /"Guideline
    > 4.3: Identify the language of the text."/

    That's an accessibility guideline, not a validity issue.

    > Yet the head contains the tag

    That's irrelevant. It's a wishy-washy "simulation" of an HTTP header that
    would be ignored if it were sent and which would in theory specify the
    language of the intended audience (not of the document).

    > The solution suggested at
    > http://webxact2.watchfire.com/themes/standard-en-us/help/HIDD_WDContent_G1
    > 25.html says
    > /"...The HTML element at the beginning of each page should
    > use the HTML 4.0 "lang" attribute..."/

    Sloppy terminology. A page _is_ an HTML element. And it refers to HTML 4.0
    for some odd reason. Bobby hasn't been much updated for years, I'm afraid.

    > But that's not valid in xhtml 1.1!

    Why do you use XHTML 1.1? It's an exercise in futility and does not work on
    the WWW (unless you questionably fake it to be text/html).

    > So, how do I make Bobby happy without going back to HTML 4.0?

    Why would you want to make Bobby happy?

    If you use HTML 4.01 (or HTML 4.0), you can use the lang attribute. You can
    do that even in XHTML 1.0. And a few user agents will actually make some use
    of the lang attribute.

    In XHTML 1.1, that attribute has been replaced by xml:lang attribute. It has
    less support in user agents than the lang attribute.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 23, 2005
  5. .:|:.

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    ..:|:. wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I'm trying to validate my page http://tinyurl.com/8ukw6
    > with Bobby at http://webxact.watchfire.com/

    For starters. Bobby is only an accessibility checker and so will only
    look for issues concerning accessability. These include issues such as
    the way a Screen Reader interprets your web page.

    > Validation for "W3C WCAG P3" fails because of /"Guideline
    > 4.3: Identify the language of the text."/
    > Yet the head contains the tag

    Well. You should use the proper validator http://validator.w3.org that
    will validate your code.

    > The solution suggested at
    > http://webxact2.watchfire.com/themes/standard-en-us/help/HIDD_WDContent_G125.html
    > says
    > /"...The HTML element at the beginning of each page should
    > use the HTML 4.0 "lang" attribute..."/

    Ahhh. I think they mean a Doc Type Decleration. and yes you should use
    one. Make it xhtml1.0 if you want to use xhtml.

    > But that's not valid in xhtml 1.1!

    Yeah. Cause that is a different DTD!.
    Do some Googleing on both Accessibility and DTD's. That might give you
    a better understanding on what it's all about.

    > So, how do I make Bobby happy without going back to HTML 4.0?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    See above.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 23, 2005
  6. .:|:.