XML Catalogs on Linux

Discussion in 'XML' started by Steve Whitlatch, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. It may be me, or it may be the Linux implementation of XML Catalogs on
    slackware. Whichever, please shed some light on this XML Catalog problem.

    When using the --catalogs option, xmllint resolves all system entities
    to local copies. No problem, for example:

    **********
    %:~/docbook-testdocs-1.1/tests> xmllint --noout --nonet --valid --catalogs book.001.xml
    **********

    Produces no output, indicating that the referenced dtd was found and the
    document is valid (using the SGML_CATALOG_FILES environment variable).
    Additionally, if I am reading the output of xmlcatalog correctly, it
    indicates that the /etc/xml/catalog file maps the docbook 4.1.2
    dtd to a local copy:

    **********
    %:/etc/xml> xmlcatalog --shell -v /etc/xml/catalog
    > system http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd

    Resolve sysID http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd
    16384 Parsing catalog /etc/xml/catalog
    /etc/xml/catalog added to file hash
    Using rewriting rule http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/
    /usr/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd
    > exit

    Catalogs cleanup
    Free catalog entry http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/
    Free catalog entry http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/
    Free catalog entry http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/
    Free catalog entry /etc/xml/catalog
    Free catalog entry
    ********** (what does all this "Free catalog . . ." mean?)

    But xmllint, when using just XML Catalogs (no --catalogs option),
    complains it cannot find the local docbook 4.1.2 dtd.

    **********
    %:~/docbook-testdocs-1.1/tests> xmllint --noout --nonet --valid book.001.xml
    Attempt to load network entity http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd
    book.001.xml:7: validity error: No declaration for attribute id of element book
    <book id="book"> . . . [snip]
    ..
    ..
    ..

    [more validity errors related to the same document]
    **********

    xmllint can find the local copies for the docbook 4.2 dtd, but not the
    local docbook 4.1.2 dtd. However, I see no difference in their entries
    in the catalog file. For reference if necessary, exact /etc/xml/catalog
    file contents:

    **********
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Entity Resolution XML Catalog V1.0//EN" "/etc/xml/xml-catalog-dtds/1.0/catalog.dtd">
    <catalog xmlns="urn:eek:asis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">

    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/" rewritePrefix="/usr/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.2/"/>

    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/"
    rewritePrefix="/usr/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/"/>

    <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/"
    rewritePrefix="/usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.64-1"/>
    </catalog>

    XML Catalogs is taking way too much time to set up. Help please.

    Thanks,

    Steve Whitlatch
    Steve Whitlatch, Jan 3, 2004