can't create PDFs from DocBook XML

Discussion in 'XML' started by Markus Hoenicka, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm trying to transform a simple test document to PDF using
    Passivetex. I'm not sure where to look for the error, but something in
    the toolchain doesn't cooperate, resulting in the following TeX error
    message:

    ! Missing number, treated as zero.
    <to be read again>
    l.2 ...egy="character-by-character" language="en">
    <fo:layout-master-set><fo:...

    The start of the FO file up to what the error message points to looks
    like this:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" font-family="serif" font-s
    ize="10pt" text-align="justify" line-height="normal" font-selection-strategy="ch
    aracter-by-character" language="en"><fo:layout-master-set>

    that is, it chokes on the first element. The transformation to HTML
    works just fine BTW.

    My setup is:

    FreeBSD 4.7
    docbook-xsl-1.61.3_1
    Passivetex 1.21
    xmltex 1.9
    xsltproc --version says: Using libxml 20428, libxslt 10023 and libexslt 714
    (same result with Saxon though)

    The sequence of commands to reproduce the problem:

    xsltproc /usr/local/share/xsl/docbook/fo/docbook.xsl test1.xml >
    test1.fo

    pdfxmltex test1.fo

    A test document to reproduce the problem:

    --8<----
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
    "/usr/local/share/xml/docbook/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
    <book>
    <title>Test document</title>
    <chapter>
    <title>Example</title>
    <para>This is a para.</para>
    </chapter>
    </book>
    --8<----

    Any hints? Am I missing something obvious?

    TIA
    Markus
    Markus Hoenicka, Aug 5, 2003