XML Formatting and Manipulation

Slant

I am trying to replicate something that looks like this
(http://www.anarchy-online.com/org/stats/d/2/name/3674118), using the
following XML file as the source:
http://www.anarchy-online.com/org/stats/d/2/name/3674118/basicstats.xml

I am incredibly new to XML and have much experience with styling
X/HTML files using CSS1 and 2. I am also familiar with PHP to an
extent and how to pull and put date to and from MySQL databases.

My goal is to be able to place the data in variables or arrays so that
I might manipulate it (see the "Profession," "Breed," and "Gender"
sections on the above example. Can anyone show me a good example of
that xml file being manipulated? If possible, the best way I learn is
by example. This may be more of a task that anyone here is willing to
do, but would it be possible to paste the entire document (the one
which demonstrates my request, though not in it's entirety) in a
reply?

If that is too much, simple examples would do just fine. I am needing
to know the following. How would I make a repeating style (for all
"member" records) which, of course, would stop when there are no more.
I'm very unfamiliar about how to, at the top of a document, start
styling one or two records of which there is only one instance (i.e.:
"id," "name," side" and "last_updated" in the above xml source file)
and then to go into a repeating style and then back out again back
into styling other data which I may specify in the html itself.

ALL comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Slant