XML server for XUL application

Full Decent

I'm writing a client and server for a social networking application.
Essentially it functions like a database, the client asks for something
and the server calculates it for him.

The client is XUL and shall talk to the server using XMLHttpRequest, or
whatever other way to communicate with an XML server.

The server is two fold:

a) the database part. Keeps a bunch of data and gives you results when
you run socialnetwork::get_path()

b) the networking part. Listens on a port and accepts input, then
passed the input to get_path() and sends back the output.

I have a couple questions about how to work with this

Is there a drop in replacement for b)? I was looking through the code
for XMLRpc++ and found it has a HTTP server and talks in XML. But I
don't have a clear idea of what XMLrpc is, and is XMLHttp request
compaible with it? Or would I have to re-write it to take out the RPC
part and keep the HTTP+XML part?

Currently my application is singlethreaded :-(, can any drop in
replacement for the networking poriton make this multi-threadable?

I'm only using a couple variables in the query, am I better off using
GET http://server/action?param1&param2 or POST?

I have no experience with XUL, (that's my teammate's job). Is there an
example XMLHttpRequest program that makes a request and displays the
results, to see that this is working?

Thanks for any advice,
Will Entriken