XML standards for I18N?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Sebastian Kerekes, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    some threads above Gerald Aichholzer mentioned an article he found about
    XLIFF (XML Localisation Interchange File Format) at
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis/.

    XLIFF seems to translate documents that already contain
    language-specific data. That means everytime a user does not use the
    standard language I'd have to throw away my standard-data and replace
    them with the other data.

    Isn't this a bit too much work? I solve it like this:
    In the first step some component generates XML data without any
    language- or display-specific content. In the second step I want to add
    the specialized content. In the third step I want to create the GUI code
    (HTML, WML, whatever).

    What I want to know is if you know about any standards for I18N via XML,
    or any good techniques proven in practice.

    Greetings,

    Sebastian

    Sebastian Kerekes, Sep 2, 2004