XML standards for I18N?

Sebastian Kerekes

Hi,

some threads above Gerald Aichholzer mentioned an article he found about
XLIFF (XML Localisation Interchange File Format) at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis/.

XLIFF seems to translate documents that already contain
language-specific data. That means everytime a user does not use the
standard language I'd have to throw away my standard-data and replace
them with the other data.

Isn't this a bit too much work? I solve it like this:
In the first step some component generates XML data without any
language- or display-specific content. In the second step I want to add
the specialized content. In the third step I want to create the GUI code
(HTML, WML, whatever).

What I want to know is if you know about any standards for I18N via XML,
or any good techniques proven in practice.

Greetings,

Sebastian