XML to DB

jeffrey.h.hill

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to make a piece of software that basically takes in large
XML files and stores this information in the database.

The tricks are that the XML will have similar qualities, but different
repeating fields, and I have to be able to store each XML as I get it
programmatically.

Basically I want a system that can...
(1) Read Large XML (SAX Parser)
(2) Take any XML and automatically determine a schema to store it.
(3) Possible automatically create the tables.
(4) Preferrably JAVA based.

I have found:
http://www.skyhawksystems.com (Unresponsive sales team after 3-weeks)
http://www.rpbourret.com/xmldbms/index.htm (Very Nice, but uses DOM,
ie. only can process small XML files)

Thanks,
Jeff

Example XML.

XML 1
------------
<xml>
<customer>
<customer_name>Elvis Presley</customer_name>
<residences>
<residence>
<address>1234 Graceland</address>
<zip>98521</zip>
<residence>
</residences>
</customer>

XML 2
----------
<xml>
<customer>
<customer_name>Elvis Presley</customer_name>
<account_number>000999</account_number
<age></age>
</customer>

Oliver Wong

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to make a piece of software that basically takes in large
XML files and stores this information in the database.

The tricks are that the XML will have similar qualities, but different
repeating fields, and I have to be able to store each XML as I get it
programmatically.

Basically I want a system that can...
(1) Read Large XML (SAX Parser)
(2) Take any XML and automatically determine a schema to store it.
(3) Possible automatically create the tables.
(4) Preferrably JAVA based.

I believe step (2) is either impossible or will result in a "useless"
schema, unless you make a lot of simplifying assumptions. I guess you'd have
to elaborate on your "similar qualities, but different repeating fields"
description. I think your needs are specialized enough that I wouldn't
expect an off-the-shelf solution to be available.

- Oliver

senges

Hi,

saving xml in a database (doesn't matter what kind of type) leeds you
to some basic questions:

- do i need the xml schema ?
- if not > save it as a blob
- if i do > check the big players possibilities (oracle plugs)
- check the xml dbms (natix)
- if you want to do it on your one > check the techniques ( save a xml
as a ordered tree > search for "xml dbms kossmann")

maybe you you specify what you wanna do. saving xml in a dbms is
possible. Especially if you use a special DBMS like NATIX

Greets,
Chris