    Lowest Maintence
    Fastest building of reciepents

    THe XML will be custimized to the specific users.

    Scott, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Scott

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Can we send an XML document through the body of an
    > email when the user opens it it will call the xsl template on our web
    > server

    No. Do it server-side before you send it out. Send it in plain text
    format too.

    Do you _want_ customers to be able to read this? Or is it more
    important to apply an inappropriate but fashionable new technique, just
    for the sake of it?

    Conveniently, XSLT is also an easy route to generating both formats

    Andy Dingley, Dec 13, 2006

  3. HTML mail is a bad idea to begin with, and many folks now treat it as an
    indication that the mailing is spam. A mail reader is not a browser;
    many won't handle rich text and I don't know of any that will try to run
    stylesheets.

    If you want your customers to be able to read the mail, send plaintext
    unless *they* indicate they want HTML. Do the rendering on the server
    side rather they indicate they can handle this as well (nobody will).

    Using XML as your back-end representation is a fine idea. But it's not
    what you want to send out.

    Joseph Kesselman, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Joseph Kesselman wrote:
    > HTML mail is a bad idea to begin with, and many folks now treat it as an
    > indication that the mailing is spam. A mail reader is not a browser;
    > many won't handle rich text and I don't know of any that will try to run
    > stylesheets.
    >
    > If you want your customers to be able to read the mail, send plaintext
    > unless *they* indicate they want HTML. Do the rendering on the server
    > side rather they indicate they can handle this as well (nobody will).
    >
    > Using XML as your back-end representation is a fine idea. But it's not
    > what you want to send out.

    So in summary I want to build plain text email okay but I can use XML
    xslt to build the plain text on the server?

    Scott, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Scott wrote:
    > So in summary I want to build plain text email okay but I can use XML
    > xslt to build the plain text on the server?

    XSLT can be told to output XML markup, HTML markup, or unformatted text;
    it's just a matter of writing the stylesheet correctly to produce the
    intended results.

    Joseph Kesselman, Dec 14, 2006