xmlHttpRequest connection limit - detecting if a request is in the queue

Matt Kruse

Thomas said:
You are evading. You are trying to make the point, you are to prove
it.

There are a number of search results, all making the same point. Listing the
url's that you can view for yourself hardly seems worthwhile.
And you can. (ns)IXMLHTTPRequest::eek:pen() does _not_ mean that a HTTP
connection is opened, it is just initialization of the
(ns)IXMLHTTPRequest object. Will you please recognize that?

Of course. That's obvious. I've never said differently.
This was not debated at all. (Will you please read more carefully
what was replied?) However, there are exactly _no_ additional HTTP
requests made, and so _no_ requests originating from
(ns)IXMLHTTPRequest can be ever queued, before you call the
(ns)IXMLHTTPRequest::send() method.

Agreed from the beginning. But calling send() on 5 requests at a time, for
example, is what I'm talking about.
Since calling send() is described to change
IXMLHTTPRequest::readyState
to 2

Where is this described? Clearly it does not.
2 is the
`readyState' value you should be looking for when attempting to
detect requests that are still in a possible request queue at the
application level. At least in IE.

False conclusion. Just test it!
Score adjusted

+1?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jim said:
The proxy is inside the browser, the reason to think of it like that
is because that's how caching makes sense, how requests make sense,
etc. etc.

There is no proxy inside any HTTP client.
Just do what it says, perform a test using XMLHTTPRequest receiving a
properly formatted HTTP status 100 response, and see the state
changes.

I do not understand what it says.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jim said:
Just do what it says, perform a test using XMLHTTPRequest receiving a
properly formatted HTTP status 100 response, and see the state
changes.

I do not understand what it says.

PointedEars

Michael Winter

Michael Winter wrote:
[snip]
at least at a protocol level,

"Protocol level"? [...]

It seems that I wasn't thinking properly when I wrote that. :-/ Never
mind...
But not on this. For example, Gecko's nsIXMLHttpRequest interface
is an implementation of Microsoft's IXMLHTTPRequest interface.

Yet the documentation that you link to in your first follow-up[1]
describes very different meanings for the LOADED and INTERACTIVE states.

The documentation for Microsoft's XML SDK 3.0 is in-line with the
description for the Gecko implementation.

Mike

[1] <[email protected]>

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Michael said:
But not on this. For example, Gecko's nsIXMLHttpRequest interface
is an implementation of Microsoft's IXMLHTTPRequest interface.

Yet the documentation that you link to in your first follow-up[1]
describes very different meanings for the LOADED and INTERACTIVE states.

True, however it is clear (and tested) that readyState will not be 2
before the connection is opened in either implementation. So that
can serve as an indicator for possible queueing (what a word! :)) of
requests.
The documentation for Microsoft's XML SDK 3.0 is in-line with the
description for the Gecko implementation.

What do you mean by that?

PointedEars

Michael Winter

Michael Winter wrote:
[snip]
The documentation for Microsoft's XML SDK 3.0 is in-line with the
description for the Gecko implementation.

What do you mean by that?

The description of the various states is almost identical to those
featured on the xulplanet.com site, at least according to the local MSDN
documentation I have here. However, the on-line documentation seems to
be rather muddled showing both, with the new XMLHTTP object for IE7[1]
exhibiting the differences previously seen.

Mike

[1]
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/readystate_3.asp>