XSLT 2 Processors

bllfrnch

Hi all,

We use XSLT extensively here at work and made the jump to XSLT 2 back
in January. Doing so increased productivity by leaps and bounds. Before
we made the switch, we were often doing "transformations" with Perl
because of XPath 1's lack of support for regular expressions. Now, it's
all built in, and we haven't looked back.

However, I can't find any information about processors other than
Saxon. Does anyone know what the development roadmaps are for
Sablotron, Xalan, MSXML, and/or other processors? Why have these other
projects been so slow to adopt the XPath 2/XSLT 2 specification?

Thanks in advance for any information. I can't find anything!

Best regards,

--Bill

Joe Kesselman

Why have these other
projects been so slow to adopt the XPath 2/XSLT 2 specification?

Lack of demand (XSLT 1.0 really does cover most needs, especially with
EXSLT to support it), combined with lack of resources (I used to be
deeply involved in the Xalan effort, but have been unable to donate much
time to it for the past year or two).

But I agree that I would Really Like to have seen more 2.0 support by now.

Martin Honnen

However, I can't find any information about processors other than
Saxon. Does anyone know what the development roadmaps are for
Sablotron, Xalan, MSXML, and/or other processors? Why have these other
projects been so slow to adopt the XPath 2/XSLT 2 specification?

One reason certainly is that there are various specifications (e.g. XSLT
2.0, XPath 2.0) involved that are still a work in progress.
Microsoft for instance decided not to ship XSLT/XPath 2.0 or XQuery
support in the .NET framework before those standards are a W3C
recommendation.
Comments in blogs indicate
<http://www.tkachenko.com/blog/archives/000590.html> that now work has
started to implement XSLT 2.0 in the .NET framework.
If you want XSLT 2.0 support in MSXML then look at this post
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.xsl/msg/70b7d60f96648b53>
and tell them your needs.