xslt alone or xslt/java for static site?

Discussion in 'XML' started by ted, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. ted

    ted Guest

    Looking for advice on the best approach to building static websites.

    Last year I built a static website with XSLT. The content is in XML
    and I run it through XSLT to update the site. The XSLT builds about
    200 pages. Each page keeps a "bread-crumb" of links so the user can
    navigate back and forth. The pages also indicate which "section" it is
    in. The XSLT also builds the "print version" of the page.

    I have a main template (basically a page template) that I call and
    pass parameters to to make each page. For instance, if I pass
    "articleIndex" to the main template, it knows to build the index of
    articles. I used to rely on the context but I found this was easier
    for me.

    Is this good approach? It sometimes seems difficult to get what I
    want. I tend to want to put things into arrays and pass them around.

    I know Java but haven't looked into JDOM or Velocity.

    TIA,
    Ted
    ted, Jan 26, 2004

  2. ted

    Laurens Guest

    "ted" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for advice on the best approach to building static websites.

    Seeing that you already know Java, you might want to look into Cocoon [1] to
    create your next site. (Cocoon can be used for both static and dynamic
    websites.) One advantage of Cocoon is that you can use Generators [2] for
    processing data sources other than XML files. You can also write your own
    Generator [3], should the need arise.

    Cocoon does have a significant learning curve, but there's an active
    community that you can consult.

    Regards
    -Laurens

    [1] http://cocoon.apache.org