xslt alone or xslt/java for static site?

ted

Looking for advice on the best approach to building static websites.

Last year I built a static website with XSLT. The content is in XML
and I run it through XSLT to update the site. The XSLT builds about
200 pages. Each page keeps a "bread-crumb" of links so the user can
navigate back and forth. The pages also indicate which "section" it is
in. The XSLT also builds the "print version" of the page.

I have a main template (basically a page template) that I call and
pass parameters to to make each page. For instance, if I pass
"articleIndex" to the main template, it knows to build the index of
articles. I used to rely on the context but I found this was easier
for me.

Is this good approach? It sometimes seems difficult to get what I
want. I tend to want to put things into arrays and pass them around.

I know Java but haven't looked into JDOM or Velocity.

TIA,
Ted

Laurens

ted said:
Looking for advice on the best approach to building static websites.

Seeing that you already know Java, you might want to look into Cocoon [1] to
create your next site. (Cocoon can be used for both static and dynamic
websites.) One advantage of Cocoon is that you can use Generators [2] for
processing data sources other than XML files. You can also write your own
Generator [3], should the need arise.

Cocoon does have a significant learning curve, but there's an active
community that you can consult.

Regards
-Laurens

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org