    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

    Timothy Murphy, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Can I use XSLT to do some simple editing,
    > eg I want to delete a final "," from some fields.

    You can certainly write a stylesheet that will perform that operation,
    assuming you can clearly describe to the system which fields you want to
    apply that modification to. String manipulation isn't what XSLT does
    best, but it does have functions which support this sort of operation.

    Joe Kesselman, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Timothy Murphy

    git Guest

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:52:59 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > MARCXML

    I worked with XLST converting docs a lot at one point. As a method is kind
    of come off the rails fairly quickly. You can do a lot easily, but once
    you start doing stuff like character editing, it starts go get messy.
    Before you spend too long trying to do this with XLST you need to think
    how many 'little alterations' are likely to be needed, or requested,
    before the end of the project. If it seems like a lot, you might be
    better off parsing the XML and writing out HTML.

    I did a post on this approach here:
    http://nerds-central.blogspot.com/2007/03/atom-feed-reader-in-javascriptjscript.html
    and here:
    http://nerds-central.blogspot.com/2007/01/creating-xml-viewer-with-jscript-exsead.html

    Cheers

    AJ

    --
    Nerds-Central: www.nerds-central.com
    Rocket power solutions to tricky IT challenges!

    git, Mar 15, 2007